Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preferred alternatives to Apple Support Communities for providing support to users and developers of Apple products and services

I wish well to the developers and users of Apple Support Communities, but I would like to give consideration to alternatives.

Existing alternatives

Which existing forums — beyond Apple Support Communities — would you recommend?

A new alternative

Would you engage in a forum that offers structure alongside easy and immediate adaptibility, with excellent and flexible search results — without the constraints that are currently imposed by Apple Support Communites?

Background

In at least one topic the following posts draw my attention:

Whilst contributing to Apple Support Communities might reach the widest audience and generate kudos, those factors are of little importance to me.

Of greater importance: a pleasing experience.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 3:24 AM

I've been visiting alternatives periodically for the last 10 years. In my experience none of them come anywhere near the ability of this one to provide relevant technical assistance, mainly because of the comparatively small number of participants and/or high level of "chat" content.

12 replies

Jul 27, 2011 7:21 AM in response to Graham Perrin

People are welcome, nay, encouraged, to find the support forums that please them the best. That being said, it is an imperfect world. Support forums, like operating systems, aren't going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Apple Support Communities is a marked improvement over the old Apple Discussions. Links, styled text, images, bookmarks, and search are all significant improvements. You will always find people complaining about changes. Plus, this is "the internet", so some of those unhappy folks simply don't have a firm grasp on reality. Once I saw someone who wanted the old search system back. Okay...

Change can be painful. The future is a scary place. Apple doesn't always wait until everything is perfect before proceeding. C'est la vie.

Jul 27, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Graham Perrin

There is a large number of Mac related forums out there - all you have to do is Google for them.

None of them are as knowledgeable as this one, none of them are perfect - including this one. A few of them are extremely bad. It is a case of 'horses for courses'.

As you are in the UK, are you familiar with Mac4Mac?

http://mac4mac.freeforums.org/

It includes a number of knowledgeable contributors on technical matters (some of which also post here), but also contains a lot of 'chatter'.

Jul 28, 2011 5:17 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 wrote:

http://mac4mac.freeforums.org/

It includes a number of knowledgeable contributors on technical matters (some of which also post here), but also contains a lot of 'chatter'.

That's new to me — thank you.

I could Google plenty (probably too much) but there's nothing like a firsthand suggestion from someone like yourself.

I'm an occasional contributor to MacRumors, and a variety of other forums, but I don't aim for such places; I sort of stumble into them. As an example of something stupidly nitpicky that bugs me in MacRumors (but not enough to drive me away, not even enough for me to report the bug): nonbreaking spaces appear as asterisks.

As an example of somewhere that I might aim for, visit regularly: a few years ago I joined Sussex Mac User Group (SMUG). In recent years I have been very inactive, I might rekindle my activities in its mailing list and occasional meetings around the county.

Most types of chatter are bearable. Good manners preferred but if people choose to be bad, I can easily ignore such things.

I'm most chatty in federated microblogs, where things can be kept brief. Examples:

— each of those now contains a related question (and whilst that one question was automatically cross-posted to Twitter, I'm much less engaged with Twitter because for conversation, Twitter's interface is very poor).

I'm less interested in locality … more interested in UIs that are pleasing, with reasonable quality of content.

Another example: the old Nabble interface to macos-x-server. The more modern Nabble interface to lists is even better but so far, in the newer domains used by Nabble, I haven't stumbled across any Apple-oriented forums.

For existing lists served by Apple (or whoever) there's also The Mail Archive but at a glance, I can't see my current Apple interests archived there. In any case: I prefer something like Nabble because it allows me to post.

What's pleasing will differ from person to person … keep the suggestions coming.

Thank you!

Jul 28, 2011 7:21 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Posts crossed paths. In addition to the ramblings above, another ramble …

Recalling that a couple of years ago I liked and bookmarked stuff relating to WMD Editor (example), today I visited Stack Exchange. That's pretty much off-topic because I expect the average Apple user to have zero interest in WMD Editor or Stack x, y or z back ends. Back on topic …

Stack Exchange

Areas include:

Neat. I very quickly found this concerning FileVault and Boot Camp and this concerning versions 1 and 2 of FileVault, both of which will help my work in progress around the two versions of FileVault.

It's better than neat:

• OpenID enabled — very appealing
  • recognises my contributions elsewhere — whilst gaining reputation doesn't drive me, I do like the Stack Exchange implementation.

##Apple-support group on Wuala

## signifies that it's unofficial and I don't expect anyone to join me there. For the moment it's just a dumping ground for bookmarks and other files. Normally I use Diigo for bookmarking but today, with screenshots in the mix, Wuala fits the bill.

When I opened this topic I had (still do have) something completely different in mind, so don't get sidetracked by the Wuala resource.

What else? Who else?

OK, so you have an idea that I'm into Mac OS X, particuarly Lion, with a dash of Mac OS X Server; and that Stack Exchange appeals to me. Whilst I opened this topic, it's not about me and certainly not limited to the Mac stuff.

Still keen to build a list of external resources that people find most useful. I'm sure that such lists have been built umpteen times before, but I'm particularly interested in the likes of people who have a strong crossover with Apple Support Communities.

At the end of this topic, if there comes an end:

• I'll be able to decide where — apart from Apple Support Communities — I should share and gain my Apple support knowledge (my gut feeling at the moment is that it'll be a handful of places, no more)
  • I hope that passers-by will be able to make their own decisions.

Thanks again

Graham

Jul 29, 2011 7:01 AM in response to RJV Bertin

Thanks.

Mac OS X Hints: I found much of excellence there over the years, but the apparent requirement to type HTML (for anything other than plain text) makes me dislike contribution.

Macintoshian Achaia — Ars Technica OpenForum: some good content but there are no preferences for pagination so where a topic is long (example) I'm disinclined to read. Not because the topic is long, but because the pagination makes reading something long more difficult. YMMV.

Aug 1, 2011 3:03 AM in response to Graham Perrin

What I previously described as the Apple area of Stack Exchange is more properly, officially known as:

Ask Different

The Ask Different experience is incredibly satisfying. In a nutshell:

So, I have almost certainly made my final decision — far sooner than expected, thanks to great experiences in various Stack Exchange areas:

I'll leave this question open, for others to contribute/discuss at their leisure.

Dec 11, 2014 11:26 PM in response to Graham Perrin

In recent months I have been active in MacRumors Forums. Unresolved problems are extremely rare. All things considered, I'm delighted with the move.

… bugs me in MacRumors (but not enough to drive me away, not even enough for me to report the bug): nonbreaking spaces appear as asterisks. …

The forthcoming migration from vBulletin to XenForo will end that problem.

preferred alternatives to Apple Support Communities for providing support to users and developers of Apple products and services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.