1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 10:32 PM by drm21yyz
Bugfixer Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)

Hello,

From the instllation of Lion we've lost the chance to run the harware test. Cmd-R takes you to the Recovery partition, where there is no way to make any Hardawre test.

I need to test RAM, any idea? And... why Apple has wiped the startup option to make hardware test?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 21".5, 8Gb RAM, i5@3.6 Ghz
  • 1. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    Jolly Giant Level 7 Level 7 (25,440 points)

you use the original install DVD that came with your Mac to run AHT.

• 2. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

Thanks JG, I'll do it. But the boot option was great (and I really thought it was in the bootloader), The recovery partition is not enough to manage these kind of problems.

• 3. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    Fortuny Level 7 Level 7 (21,415 points)

When OSX Lion is more widely preinstalled on new Macs, Apple might come up with a solution to either use the Recovery partition or add a bootable USB-Stick or I don't know...

• 4. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    a brody Level 9 Level 9 (63,285 points)

We don't know that for certain.  Some Intel Macs don't need the hardware test DVD to run the test.  Which don't I haven't seen published anywhere.

• 5. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

Found this one http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Note: Some Macintosh computers that shipped with OS X Lion support the use of Apple Hardware Test over the Internet. These computers will start up to an Internet-based version of AHT if the hard drive does not contain AHT.

• 6. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

Fortuny wrote:

Found this one http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Note: Some Macintosh computers that shipped with OS X Lion support the use of Apple Hardware Test over the Internet. These computers will start up to an Internet-based version of AHT if the hard drive does not contain AHT.

I hope that my Mid 2010 iMac is in the list... Now I'm far from the iMac, but it seems that the D key had no effect. I don't remember if the Internet connection was active at that very moment.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

The magic words are "Macs that shipped with OSX Lion" and your 2010 iMac is thus definetly not on that list

Neither is any of my own Macs.

Stefan

• 8. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

I think you're right, Stefan.

• 9. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    Tess888 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Right you are Fortuny..I and three of my friends who all own 2010 Macs of different configurations tried to run a hardware test, and nothing happend for any of us when pressing the D key. The applications disc that came with your computer is the answer for doing an AHT. Thanks for stating it so clearly for the rest of us!

Fortuny wrote:

The magic words are "Macs that shipped with OSX Lion" and your 2010 iMac is thus definetly not on that list

Neither is any of my own Macs.

Stefan

• 10. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

Tess888,

Well, that's not all true. What I did, as suggested in this thread, an installation of AHT from my original Snow Leopard DVD; now I'm far from my iMac, but I can tell you that I've found a AHT.pkg file, installed, restarted and pressing D at boot I haf my AHT back!!!

I looked for the file using Terminal, and I copied it on my Desktop; a double click to install and here you go.

• 11. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?

Sorry, typo: " I had my AHT back".

• 12. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    TheAnimaster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I almost thought that was ridiculous, since I needed to test the status of our faculty iMac's WIFI card (coz it loses WIFI and says there's no card installed)!! But careful reading says that you can use an Ethernet cable too.

Fortunately, the harddrive had never been reformatted, so AHT was still there locally.

• 13. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    Gulldo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

@Bugfixer:

Bugfixer wrote:

Tess888,

Well, that's not all true. What I did, as suggested in this thread, an installation of AHT from my original Snow Leopard DVD; now I'm far from my iMac, but I can tell you that I've found a AHT.pkg file, installed, restarted and pressing D at boot I haf my AHT back!!!

I looked for the file using Terminal, and I copied it on my Desktop; a double click to install and here you go.

How did you do that? I really need to check my hardware but since I purchased Lion on the Mac App Store the AHT vanished from my system. I have the original Mac OS X installer DVD but I don't know what key to press to start it from the disk and I don't know how to extract the file from it either.

• 14. Re: How to run hardware test with Lion?
    Gulldo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ignore my inquery. After having pressed the same button 12 times or so while restarting it suddenly worked and I could run the AHT. No problems found so I guess I'll go for the software solution then.

1 2 Previous Next