Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove "Esc" shortcut to exit Full Screen application mode?

I read the below post and I was able to add a Universal shortcut to toggle Full Screen mode for all supported applications on Lion ..

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/1997/full-screen-shortcut

⚠ Can I somehow remove "Esc" as the shortcut to exit Full screen mode? (I vaguely remember seeing this option when I was first trying out Lion, I may be wrong).

I would like to put Esc key to more use than just being able to exit full screen mode (which anyways I would not after the restore and mult-desktop feature). e.g. stopping loading pages in full screen Safari and closing popups etc.

Please help me preserve the functionality of this useful key on my Mac.

Thanks

-Nakul

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:18 PM

Sorry, I don't know how to disable that, but I want to thank you for pointing it out the shortcut.

Esc has never been used for functions like that, that I can remember. Cmd-. will stop most processes, including loading a page. Cmd-w will close a window, including popups.

How did you make it close windows and stop pages loading?

The Esc key is still the default for Cancel in dialogs.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2011 4:18 PM in response to npunhani

Sorry, I don't know how to disable that, but I want to thank you for pointing it out the shortcut.

Esc has never been used for functions like that, that I can remember. Cmd-. will stop most processes, including loading a page. Cmd-w will close a window, including popups.

How did you make it close windows and stop pages loading?

The Esc key is still the default for Cancel in dialogs.

Aug 1, 2011 9:29 AM in response to npunhani

Esc has other uses in Safari ....

➕ If you want to close the downloads popup or right click menu it works fine....

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

➖ Now try closing the add image popup on discussions.apple itself!!!! It ends the full screen mode, however it does work when not in full screen mode.

I would call this a bug!!! I want to remove Esc as the default for "Exit Full Screen" when I already have my shortcut set.

User uploaded file

Jan 26, 2012 8:18 AM in response to npunhani

I too would like to know if this is possible. I use Chrome which now has a Fullscreen mode in Lion, but I also use YouTube which sometimes uses the HTML5 player. If I put the video in fullscreen and use Escape to exit out of the player fullscreen, it not only exits the player fullscreen but also Chrome fullscreen. If I press escape to exit out of a Flash fullscreen, it does not because Flash is a separate process. This is annoying because I can't always tell when I'm in an HTML5 player or a Flash player until my Chrome window is suddenly removed from fullscreen requiring me to have to put it back into fullscreen again. If I could kill Escape as the "Exit out of fullscreen in Lion" command I'd be happy as a clam. I never use Escape to exit fullscreen.

May 29, 2012 6:51 PM in response to npunhani

Thankfully the application I originally had a gripe with regarding this feature recently (As of a few months ago) removed "escape" as a key that exits out of fullscreen. Google Chrome. It kept exiting out of fullscreen whenever I was watching an HTML5 YouTube video and wanted to exit fullscreen for the video. They fixed it thankfully.

Oct 17, 2013 5:02 PM in response to npunhani

I'll add my voice to this "petition." Escape is already used to interrupt certain things, and people commonly press it two or more times when the computer isn't being responsive. The exit from full screen takes a few seconds during which nothing else can happen. This just harms usability. At the very least "Exit Fullscreen" should be one of the options that we can set in the Keyboard preference pane. In the meantime, I will see if I can find a hidden defaults setting to turn off this bothersome shortcut.

Oct 26, 2013 8:37 PM in response to npunhani

Same for me.

I really don't understand why Safari uses ESC key to exit full screen mode while the key performs different kind of functions such as stopping page loading, closing popup dialogs, quitting fullscreen video playing, etc.

I don't use ESC key to quit full screen mode, instead I use toggle button on menubar when I very occasionally need to do so. Also I use the button whenever I switch to fullscreen mode. Isn't it common for most people?

I think it's a bad idea that OSX sticks to current ESC key policy.

Since I use Lion(and Mt. Lion, Mavericks), I never seen those apps which uses ESC key to exit full screen mode except Safari. For me, the 'quitting fullscreen mode by ESC key' accident not occurs often, but when it occurs, it's really annoying. Sometimes it also makes me crazy.

Nov 6, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Jaeguang Lee

I found a solution to this problem. You need to install NinjaKit:

https://github.com/os0x/NinjaKit

Once this is installed you need to install this script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/178642

Here you can click the install button to the top right of the screen. You'll get a dialog where you need to press install once again.

Once this is complete you may need to restart Safari. Now you can enjoy esc as it was meant to be used!

How do I remove "Esc" shortcut to exit Full Screen application mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.