Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to move apps out of Launchpad folders

Once you have an app in a Launchpad folder, how do you get it out and back into the root level of the Launchpad?

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 4:26 PM

19 replies

Jul 30, 2011 4:36 PM in response to AppleGeek1990

I did that but it didn't work.

Specifically, I held down on the icon. All of the icsons started jiggling. I dragged the icon above the folder area but when I released it snapped back into the folder. It also happened when I dragged it below the folder area also and it still snapped back into the folder.

I may not be following your directions but I think I am.

Jul 30, 2011 4:48 PM in response to AppleGeek1990

I dragged it out of the folder area and held it there for over 30 seconds. Nothing happened. When I released it snapped back into the folder.

Let me understand from the beginning. I open Launchpad first, then I open the folder that has the icon I'd like to remove, then I hold down on the icon until it jiggles. Are these the first steps you are talking about?

Jul 30, 2011 7:07 PM in response to AppleGeek1990

Very nice video! Apple should use it on their tutuorial videos page.

Unfortunately, your movements are exactly what I'be been doing, but the icon still snaps back to the folder. It never moves out of the folder, no matter how long I leave it there.

I'm using a MacPro with all the latest versions of all the software so I don't think I can update anything. Obviously my system is not working the way it's supposed to!

how to move apps out of Launchpad folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.