Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Lion Upgrade - Autosave failed!

I was working on two Pages documents and closed them.

According to Pages help I should have been asked to save:

Closing a Document Without Quitting Pages

When you have finished working with a document, you can close it without quitting Pages.

Here are ways to close documents and keep the application open:

• To close the active document, choose File > Close, or click the close button in the upper-left corner of the document window.
  • To close all open Pages documents, press the Option key and choose File > Close All, or click the active document’s close button.

If you’ve made changes since you last saved the document, Pages prompts you to save.

But I wasn't asked.

When opening the two files later I noticed that the last changes (one chapter) in one of them were missing.

How can this be...?

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Kensington Expert Trackballs

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 6:05 PM

94 replies

Aug 1, 2011 3:09 AM in response to coxorange

If I understand well, you are running Pages under Snow Leopard.

There is no AutoSave feature in this system.

When you try to close a document which was modified, you are supposed to get a dialog like this one :

User uploaded file

If you didn't got it, something is wrong in your system.

Try to run Pages from an other user account to tell us if the wrongdoer is in you current account or if if is in the shared components of the system.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 1 août 2011 12:08:50

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Aug 1, 2011 4:50 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thanks Yvan for your answer! Sorry, that I didn't make it clearer, I just wrote in the thread title "After Lion Upgrade - Autosave failed".

I was using Pages for years under Leopard and Snow Leopard without a problem. After modifying a Pages file, when trying to close the document window, it always prompted me to save. (In fact normally I never used this "feature" because I've always pressed cmd+s every few minutes.) Of course there was no AutoSave feature.

Now, after upgrading to Lion (of course including the Pages update and all other Apple updates) it happened: After modifying a Pages file (I added two paragraphs at the end of my file within about an hour of work; I didn't use cmd+s during this time), when trying to close the document window, it simply closed without asking to save (AutoSave). I thought the autosave feature would save all modifications, but when opening the file afterwards, only the first of the two paragraphs was there - the last one was missing. I couldn't believe it!

Browsing versions didn't help to find the missing paragraph.

I don't know if it will be easy to reproduce the malfunction, but I've lost confidence in this new Lion feature.

After reading this more detailed description, would you still suggest to run Pages from an other user account? (Haven't done it yet.)

Or do you have an idea what could have caused the malfunction?

Thanks again!

Aug 1, 2011 6:41 AM in response to coxorange

Oops.

I read the message and not the title.

I will repeat : try to run it in an other account.

When I make changes in an existing document under Lion, this one is automatically saved.

I will make new tries in a feww minutes when I will run Lion (one or two hours a day).

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 1 août 2011 15:40:52

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Aug 1, 2011 9:12 AM in response to coxorange

I'm having this problem as well. Same situation - OS-X with Lion upgrade and iLife with Lion upgrade applied.

If I make changes in Pages and later shut the window or application without specifically saving, it sometimes does not save everything. Most of the time it's ok, but quite often it is missing some of the text I last entered.

This is a really critical problem because it involves data lose without warning.

This is the first time I've seen anyone else mention this problem. Are other people not seeing it?

Does anyone know if a solution is available?

Are Apple aware?

Thanks,

Mike.

Aug 1, 2011 12:00 PM in response to MikeHolden

I made several new tests.

(1) when I create a document from a template, if I try to close it, I get the dialog asking me if I want to save.

(2) when I open a standard document and make changes in it, when I close it, the document was always saved with the changes embedded.

To be short : I was unable to reproduce what you described.

(3) as an end user like you I have no way to answer the question "Are Apple aware ?"

(4) I will not file a report about a behavior which I am unable to reproduce.

(5) I locked afile to check if it's a way to get the described behavior.

Nada, when I typed one character, I got a warning saying that the doc was locked and that unlocking it was required to edit it.

(6) I changed the file permissions to "read only" and got the same behavior than the one of case (5).

I will continue to search.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 1 août 2011 20:59:49

Aug 1, 2011 12:13 PM in response to MikeHolden

Thanks Mike,

I'm happy that you confirmed the malfunction!

Pages is useless with this new reliabilty-feature.

I will use TextEdit as long as there's no update

(... hoping it's not a general problem with AutoSave and/or Versions).

Could someone please inform Apple?

(Sorry, English is not my native language, so it's a bit difficult for me to report the issue via telephone. I found no email address.)

Aug 1, 2011 12:50 PM in response to coxorange

coxorange wrote:

(1) EDIT: I've reported the issue via Pages' "Provide Pages Feedback".

Please Mike, do this too.

I hope it helps. Unfortunately we get no answers regarding such reports...

PS:

(2) Is there a way to temporarily disable the AutoSave and/or Versions feature(s) for Pages under Lion?

Or is there another workaround...?

(1) In the Feedback page, it's clearly written that Apple doesn't send any kind of feedback to the asqued questions.

(2) As far as I know, there is no way to disable Autosave.

You may move back to iWork '08. It's surprising but this set of application behave correctly under Lion, at least during the tests which I made.

An other scheme is to keep our good old habits: hit cmd + S on a regular basis but I repeat, I was unable to reproduce what you described.

One more time, may you try to run the app in an other user account?

It would tell us if the behavior is a global feature on your machine or if it is dedicated to your user account.

I spent too much time in Lion today.

Good bye, See you tomorrow.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 1 août 2011 21:49:56

Aug 1, 2011 2:26 PM in response to coxorange

As I already wrote, users getting this behavior may send a message thru the dedicated channel.

From my point of view, there is something wrong in your system.

I asked you to run in an other user account to learn in which area is the wrongdoer.

As far as I know you didn't do this test.

It was already checked that some odd behaviors were in fact due to a third party product.

What you get may be one of these cases.

You may apply a "safe boot" to see if the problem continue to strike when third party extensions are disabled.

User uploaded file

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 1 août 2011 23:26:42

Aug 1, 2011 2:59 PM in response to coxorange

I have now sent feedback to Apple as well now.

Coxorange, it seems to me that this problem is not very common. I haven't seen other reports of it and no one else in this discussion is saying they have the same issue. This is bad for us because it means Apple is less likely to be focused on fixing it. So we might be on our own...

My guess is that the problem must be some combination of applications we have installed that conflict in some way. Maybe we can identify the problem by seeing what our systems have in common. My system is fairly standard, except I have some development tools installed - x-code 3.2.6, Sap gui 7.1 (I'm a sap developer), and Oracle SQL developer 1.5.5. Apart from Skype 5.1 and Parallels Desktop 6, I think everything is standard Apple. And I'm attached to a OS-X server box, now running Lion Server (not very well).

Is your set-up similar in any way, or is there any unusual about it?

It occurs to me that one solution may be to reinstall iWorks from the original disks and then refuse to take the later updates. Wouldn't that give effectively turn off autosave and give us back the 'Do you want to Save' dialog box? Any comments any one?

Mike.

Aug 1, 2011 3:44 PM in response to MikeHolden

Mike, I found this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3156383

Others have similar problems with Final Cut Pro X's AutoSave.

Maybe a general problem with the AutoSave function?

Sorry at the moment I don't have the time to make a list of all my Apps.

Do you think it makes a difference if they are just installed or running

while Pages is running?

Yvan, as soon as I'll find the time, I'll try it under a new user account.

Aug 1, 2011 7:13 PM in response to coxorange

coxorange wrote:

I've discussed this issue with some friends and one suggested that Apple should warn their customers immediately about the usage of Pages.

Unfortunately it seems the sole requrement of most Apple staff now is that they fit the T-shirt.

I had several the other day feed me nonsense about mythical Thunderbolt - Monitor adaptors, then send me off on a wild goose chase to a very hard to grab staff member on the 2nd floor, who couldn't give a coherent answer before going and asking "The Expert", who offered me a Firewire cable!

Peter

After Lion Upgrade - Autosave failed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.