Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotmail attachment - 'id has bad format'

I am having issues trying to attach files in hotmail using safari. I get an error 'attachment id has bad format'.

The files are fine - I can open, create, save etc. I have uninstalled and re-installed silverlight, and reset safari (twice) with no luck 😟

Any other ideas? Its really frustrating and I need to get this working asap.

Many thanks,

Katrina

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 4:21 PM

24 replies

Aug 1, 2011 9:39 AM in response to Rev.Chester

Hi!

After hours of trial and error I found a few thigns that have worked for me -

1. if you remove all spaces from filenames, then the files will attach & send

2. if you configure your hotmail account to work via your mac mail - this works too (you can only see your inbox, but if its urgent, this is a quick fix

3. Uninstall silverlight & DONT reinstall it - then hotmail works as we're used to :-) This is the option I prefer (having experimented with the other two). I dont know when I'll need Silverlight for a website, so until I go to a site that prompts me for it, this is the best solution I can find :-)

Some good uninstall instructions are on www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight.

Alternatively, a quick tip ... in Finder, go to macintosh hd -> library -> internet plugins. Move sliverlight.plugin to the Trash & delete the trash. Quit safari & re-open.

Hope this helps you too :-)

Regards,

Katrina

Aug 20, 2011 11:25 AM in response to SydneyGirl1

FYI, and for the record, I too was getting the "attachment ID" error, and could not send mail from within Safari via Hotmail, even when neither my outgoing message nor the message to which I was responding had any attachments at all. Removing the silverlight plug-in fixed the problem. Thanks Microsoft!!!

(By the way, this problem manifested on my 10.6.8 system after installing the Safari 5.1 update, not a 10.7 system as this thread's breadcrumb would seem to indicate.)

Barry

Hotmail attachment - 'id has bad format'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.