Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to attach files to a reply email

I would like to find out if there is a way to attach a file to an existing reply email or to write the email first then attach the file?

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 9:41 AM

46 replies

Jan 10, 2012 8:11 AM in response to Kasey33

I also use my iPhone for work and have all my files (word, excel, PDF's etc) in Quickoffice, I simply go to the folder I have the particular file stored, select the envelope and then tap on the document I wish to send, it automatically attaches itself to a blank e-mail which you can then address and complete any other info. I'm sure other apps are similar to use. Videos and/or photos can be sent via your camera roll.

Apr 20, 2012 7:33 PM in response to dvijender

The iPhone has no central storage space for documents at the moment, so there really isn't a reason to do this.

Once there is a shared storage space on the iPhone, such as with iCloud documents, etc, then this feature will likely be implemented by Apple, but for the moment it doesn't make sense to attach to a reply without a way to pick the files to attach (no central storage space).

Most applications have the option to send via email with the little arrow pointing to the right, and it creates a new message with that attached.

QuickOffice is also fantastic as it ties in to all your various sync services such as Google Docs, Dropbox, iCloud, etc and allows you to attach to a new message.

So, while there isn't a way to reply to a message and attach a file, and likely won't be -- until a shared storage space is created, there are many ways to create new emails with attachments.

May 11, 2012 9:17 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

Business users need to attach documents to reply emails, period. We also need to reply to all attendees on a calendar item without creating a new e-mail. Unbelievable that Apple has not addressed this while opting for marketing gimmicks like Siri. I will move myself and my entire company to Android if this and other business features are not addressed in the next major release.

May 11, 2012 9:36 PM in response to scottbiz59

Please direct your frustration with the lack of the feature to the feedback form for the iPhone or iPad:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Comments made in the bottom of a support forum entry won't get you anywhere with your request.

Also realize that threats of moving to another vendor don't do much to make your case to Apple.

Appealing to ease of use and functionality would be more successful.

If it really is something that would make a major difference in your daily use of mail on the iPhone/iPad, you could craft a clear and reasonable letter to corporate and send it in the mail:

Apple

1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014

May 11, 2012 10:03 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

Great advice. Let's put the frustration in the feedback black hole where it can be ignored for another two years rather than the public forum. What arrogance. I've been a Apple customer since the operating system came on a floppy; personally spent 100K on Apple products, and you're going to lecture me on how to make my case in an auto reply based on keywords. Forget the threat. I'm done.

May 11, 2012 11:34 PM in response to scottbiz59

I wrote that response with the intention of helping, don't assume mal-intent or arrogance.

I'd like the feature you're asking for as well.

Threats of taking your stuff and leaving make others in customer service, support, and engineering ignore you or view your suggestions negatively. Most people don't respond positively to threats like that.. would you in your business?

I've worked support and customer service for years and everyone I knew would go out of their way to NOT help a person reacting in that manner, or they would do the bare minimum that was possible in the situation.

I've seen far more happen with one reasonable snail-mail letter written to corporate -- addressed to Steve Jobs (in the past) or Tim Cook than hundreds of postings to discussion boards.

Aug 7, 2012 12:50 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

Till 30 minutes ageo I was great great fan of apple. But it change.. I have to reply one email with my resume with in few hours (which I lost the opportunity), and I am traveling now. So when I left my home I thought I am having my iPhone with me so I can reply with it on my way... I was fighting with my phone how to attach my resume in reply mail (I cannot create new mail, it should be reply only). When I read this page I understood there is no way to do this.

Today just because of apple ( I must say) I lost a big opportunity for my carrier.

I had trust on apple that it does take care of very basic need of smart phone

:(

Aug 7, 2012 1:07 PM in response to Vipul_ji

Don't give up!

Take a look at some of the workarounds that several of us have posted.

If you have your resume in a email you've sent to yourself, reply to that message, then copy your resume. Close out of that email, go to the one you need to put your resume in, reply, then paste the file you copied.

I haven't tried it myself, however one of the posters above mentioned those steps as an option.

Give it a try before giving up!

How to attach files to a reply email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.