Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI - Samsung and Mac Mini

I have a MacMini that I bought specially for its HDMI port. I bought 2 Samsung TA550 monitors and CANNOT get both to work. The HDMI connection yields a terrible image which is unacceptable.

I connect the first monitor using its VGA port. That works great.

The second monitor is connected through a HDMI port, and the image is very, very bad.

I have tried HDMI > DVI > VGA cables but they do not seem to work.

I am not satisfied with the Mac Mini and the Samsung monitors. I don't know which one to blame for the problem, but I am not happy with the outcome.

I even upgraded to OSX Lion, but nothing changed.

Anybody have any solution to my problem ?

Tks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:38 PM

31 replies

Aug 2, 2011 11:20 PM in response to ascfreitas

I've had similar problems connecting my 2007 MacBook to a Samsung UN22D5000 screen (so it's not just your Mac mini). Works perfectly over VGA, but when connected over DVI, the screen picture is not crisp, the colors are off, and overall the picture is less than ideal. When I connect the MacBook to my Dell 2407WFP over DVI, the picture looks perfect. I haven't figured out what the problem is, but it seems isolated to my Samsung panel.

My best guess is that it's either the way the Samsung panels are interpreting the DVI signal, or it's something about how OS X (both Snow Leopard and Lion) are outputting the signal to the Samsung panels. My intuition says that it's a problem with the more recent HD software/hardware in the Samsung panels, but I have no firm basis for this other than it appears to be isolated to Samsung panels only.

Good luck!

Edit: I've also spent a few hours drilling through the menus on the screen, all to little avail. I was able to slightly improve the picture quality, although it was nothing close to that seen over VGA (which I should not have to use with 1080p).

Sep 9, 2011 1:55 PM in response to ascfreitas

2011 Mac mini + OS X Lion = Poor display compatibility

My LG TVs, and monitors show a very bad image quality when they are connected to the new mini via HDMI.

It's funny because Samsung, LG are world NO.1, 2 display makers and the new mini is not compatible with their products.

Who is to blame for this problem? It's Apple!

I have been using my TV, monitors with Windows PCs and a 09 Mac mini without any issues.

Sep 9, 2011 3:58 PM in response to ascfreitas

There's a large thread on this in reviews on Amazon for Samsung monitors. Here is what they say is the solution. It seems to work for everyone who does it.

I quote...

Here's what you do: (and you can do this while you're PC is ON up so you can see the display change right before your eyes!)

1. Open MENU

2. Go to "Input"

3. Select "Edit Name" to open up the "Edit Name" sub menu.

4. Scroll down to "HDMI" and select it, (watch carefully)

5. Now assign "PC" or "DVI PC" to the HDMI setting and voila!!!

*** I'm not sure what this setting is for, I thought it was just to give it some "name" assignment. But somehow changing this corrected the blurry/blocky text effect.

Dec 4, 2011 1:10 AM in response to azdawg99

Thanks very much for reposting this, azwag99. This worked like a charm with my Mac Pro and a Samsung 22" TV I am using for a second monitor along side my Cinema 27". What a bizarre thing that Samsung would do to bury this parameter. I did need to go into setup for display on the mac and tweek the color profile and play with the settings on the Samsung a bit, but overall it is now quite acceptable. It is not my Cinema 27", but being 1/5th the price, it is good enough. Cheers!

May 7, 2012 5:08 PM in response to azdawg99

I have a samsung TV which worked great with my MBP via the DVI to HDMI adaptor and then after buying a mini and using the HDMI direct into the same port had extreemly BAD video also. I did manage to tweak it so it was acceptable but never got it correct.... I poured over the E manual and info boards to no avail, then tonight while watching TV had the "bright idea" to try the MAC forums. I punched in my search and there it was!!! My mini is actually useable now... THANK YOU! You get the dewey button for the day. Have a great one.

Jul 5, 2012 7:02 PM in response to azdawg99

DUDE

Perfect fix.

I have the Samsung T27A550 attached to my 2011 13" MacBook Pro using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on the Thunderbolt port. No amount of setting tweaking was working. The picture was actually worse than the Asus VE278Q that I was using. It didn't have enough connectability.

The "DVI PC" setting is perfect. THANK YOU.

Any advice for the optimal setting for AppleTV? I haven't noticed any issues there yet, but you're a freaking genius.

HDMI - Samsung and Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.