Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2011 13" Macbook Air Trackpad problem.

I have a new mid-2011 13" MBA and have noticed the trackpad is noticeably less smooth when scrolling than the one on my 13" MBP. Is this a unique problem with mine or one that others have seen? Any suggestions? I've tried repairing the permissions and resetting the PRAM/NVRAM with no change.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 6:51 PM

I am having tons of issues with it being hyper-sensitive. I am constantly having issues with it moving items, highlighting when I don't want to, clicking links or submitting things I didn't intend to, etc. Yet at other times it's completely unresponsive and I have to click something repeatedly.

130 replies

Aug 16, 2011 7:30 AM in response to hdrme

I'm having the same issue. I use a mouse most of the time, but when I'm away, I use the touch pad. Some times it just will not respond to my finger movements. Last night, I noticed the cursor doing some irratic movement when I wasn't even touching the touchpad or using the mouse. I thought I had a virus/trojan and someone else was controlling it.

When it works, it is amazing. But it fails far too often. A reboot helps.

It's either Lion or the Touchpad. Or both.

Aug 16, 2011 9:00 AM in response to hdrme

What if you moisten your finger tips? I live in Phoenix and the very low humidity here dries my hands out to the point that none of my touch surfaces work properly - iPad, MBP trackbad, MBA trackpad or Magic Trackpad. Simply moistening my finger tips usually resolves the issue for a bit (until they dry out again...). I bought one of these for my desk and briefcase:

http://www.quill.com/sortkwik-fingertip-moistener/cbs/051704.html

HTH,

Tim

Aug 16, 2011 8:15 PM in response to ribbitribbit

I am having also issues. I got my macbook air today. The trackpad is super over responsive, i am selecting continuosly things I dont want, moving them, it gets stacked moving an application around... the curious thing is that the first 3 hours it worked great and now is almost unusuable.

Any idea if there is hardware issues with this?

Aug 18, 2011 8:12 AM in response to ribbitribbit

I am using the Mid 2011 13" Air. Everything was working fine until yesterday. I am having the same issues of constantly clicking things. I barely need to touch the trackpad for it to register a click. This is extremely frustrating as this is a brand new machine. I already had to return/exchange my Mid 2011 MBA because of battery issues.

I am planning on taking it to the Genius Bar to see what they can do to help.

Aug 18, 2011 1:26 PM in response to Lydster

Quick update on this. I took my MBA back to the Apple Store where I bought it and they replaced it with a new one no questions asked. By the time I got it back there, it was clicking all by itself and no gestures were working properly.

The guy in the store said that sometimes when the battery heats up, it can cause compression/heat that can affect the Trackpad...? Not ideal but I have a new one now - let's see how this one works out.

I can't help but think it is heat related, as when I first powered it on in the day, it was ok, but within half an hour, it started behaving erratically.

Aug 20, 2011 9:45 PM in response to hdrme

I had the hyper-sensitivity problem on a 2011 13" MBA. If I rested my thumb on the bottom of the trackpad while my index finger was on the center, I would get accidental clicks. This was true even with tap-to-click turned off. It finally drove me crazy enough that I took the machine to the Genius bar today. I showed the problem. The guy there pointed out that it took a little bit of pressure from my resting thumb to cause the accidental click, but he agreed that it wasn't enough pressure to actually depress the trackpad, and so the computer should not have been registering a click. He gave me a new MBA, right out of the box. I just reinstalled my stuff and test it for 15 minutes. Seems like I'm cured. Whether I have tap-to-click enabled or not, resting my thumb no longer causes an accidental or unintentional click.

Mid-2011 13" Macbook Air Trackpad problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.