Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outlook will not Sync Calendar

It used to work but not it doesn't. After spending several hours with Apple support, my outlook calendar still will not sync with my IPhone. ITunes goes through all the gyrations, devices talk to each other. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ITunes several times, sync test complets successfully. I have also noticed that when I do sync, the backup history is not accurate. I do not see any record of the most recent back up. I just can figure this out, any suggestions would be helpful.

XP

Itunes 10.4

Iphone 4.3.5

iPhone 4, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 2:35 AM

53 replies

Oct 15, 2017 8:55 AM in response to dsooley

This statement is correct and incorrect. Microsoft and Apple have chosen to use two different protocols to communicate in their email systems. Neither Microsoft nor Apple have also stepped forward and provided translation capability within their systems. Microsoft should have developed this ability in Outlook since their app is used in most commercial environments and Mac computers are very prevalent these days. Also, Apple should have provide a similar translation feature inherent in their OS. Both are in error and both are not thinking of their consumers.

Aug 5, 2011 6:02 AM in response to lafnbacstage

Hi,

I had the same issue (I think) and my problem is solved with some help of Microsoft forums.

First check wether contacts and notes do sync.

If this is the case, the problem is most likely caused by a bad recurring event / appointment in Outlook.

I found the (or my) solution on the next two forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/3cf216ed-3f0d-47f3- 8043-d2d0de4c824c

and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/fd080 c25-f975-466c-81e5-5506e009601f

Read especially the post of Thomas_Moody and the post of NDerrick321 on the first link and further the post of rowethers on the second link.

At first I followed the recommendations of Thomas_Moody and deleted all custom yearly repeating events in Outlook. This didn't solve my problem.

Then, I activated the iTunes Outlook add-in in Outlook, as NDerrick321 recommended. That didn't help either, but it can't do any harm I think.

Then, after reading the post of roweathers (and others) I was convinced that the problem is caused by a bad recurring event in the Outlook calendar.

In my case most of the recurring events (appointments) were in the past, so I could easily delete the old ones in Outlook. After syncing again no results yet.

Next, I deleted (in Outlook) the recurring events which are actual one by one and replaced them by new ones (I entered them again).

After syncing again iTunes showed messages of double entries which might conflict. Syncing was completed and my problem is solved. Until now I have no problems anymore.

Greetings,

Frank

Aug 5, 2011 1:27 PM in response to Frank Holland

Thanks for responding Frank,

When I get another day to invest in screwing around with outlook I will dig into your suggestions. A couple of them I have tried already. To be honest, I tend to lean towards another poster's inclination to blame ITunes for the problem. Everything was working fine until I updated ITunes and IPhone software. I also had Apple tech support on the phone for 5 hours the day before yesterday and we went through many of the solutions I'm seeing on support sites with no success.

I was wondering if it would be worth resetting my phone to the default setting, scrubb the data, then reload. The problem is that ITunes is not showing any backup history. When I go to reset the backup history, it only shows the very first time when I synced my phone (9 months ago). I sure hope Apple fixes this glich real soon.

Aug 5, 2011 2:23 PM in response to lafnbacstage

@ lafnbacstage: Of course it was my assumption too that upgrading iTunes was the problem, because my problems occurred somewhere in the beginning of 2011, just after I upgraded to iTunes 10.2. Forums on the Apple site showed all kinds of problems with version 10.2. After a while I downgraded to version 10.1 (it wasn't that easy to find an older version on the web, since all links directed to the Apple site, showing the latest version) and after re-installing this older version the problem still persisted.

Since I have a 2nd gen. iPod touch, IOS will not further upgrade than version 3.2.1. so that cannot be the problem.

As you can see on the Microsoft forums, the problem of not syncing the calendars goes back to 2008 (with iTunes 7.6).

After all, in the week view of the Outlook calendar you can easily see which events are recurrent (see the special arrow symbol) and it costed me an hour to delete them all.

I wish you success!

@ dsooley: as I wrote: discussion closed

Aug 8, 2011 8:21 AM in response to dsooley

@dsooley: I don't think Frank ever said Microsoft caused the problem - he just said they have the solution :-). While this was not the fix for my current issue, I have had to dothis in the past (delete all recurring events, re-sync, then add them all back in again). This time around, I un-checked the calendar in the sync options and re-synced without the calendar, thus deleting the calendar from my iPhone. Then I re-booted my computer & phone and synced them, adding back in the calendar. I did this almost a week agoand it seems to be working fine now. @lafnbacstage: Good luck!

Regards,

Jamie

Aug 8, 2011 1:27 PM in response to lafnbacstage

So - same config here - except I am running Windows 7. After two hours on the phone and then another two hours @ the store with a number of their geniuses - they've chalked it up to a bug with itunes 10.4 and suggested that I just wait until 10.5. I said that was unacceptable - so they opened up a ticket with corporate and am hoping to hear back from a developer to find out how to fix this.

Grrr....

Aug 11, 2011 6:35 AM in response to Gillian2301

Gillian,

I already wrote my message already above, but it may have been a little obscured by a discussion below.

The symptoms you describe look very much alike however. At work I am running Windows XP and I do have the Outlook option in the sync area.

I already had contact with two persons who actually had some bad recurring events in the Outlook calendar. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3202907?answerId=15851991022#15851991022

and

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3174902?answerId=15852279022#15852279022

Regards,

Frank

Outlook will not Sync Calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.