Previous 1 2 3 Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 7:05 PM by FranSus
Pappa_Z Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So, menu bar is missing after installing 10.7. Only spotlite is shown, but not working, shows "waiting" when mouse over. Repairing permissions does not help. Any ideas? Problem is that I don't have internet acces since Airport icon is not shown, and when trying to acces it via system preferences, it freezes. So upgrade to 7.1 is not an option..

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (14,955 points)

Could be corrupt plist try deleting com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

found here:

usenamer/Library/Preferences/ com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

open terminal and paste the command:

killall SystemUIServer

See if this rebuilds your missing NSMenuExtra-based menu extras

• Pappa_Z Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

nope, that's the first thing I tried, but still nothing. Even copied file from Leopard, but didn't help. After googlin for a while, came up with an idea that Dropbox icon causes this error, since there are many Dropbox issues on Lion. Will try to rebuild .plist after removing Dropbox. Tnx for quick reply.

Pappa_Z wrote:

that's the first thing I tried, but still nothing.

hmm, why not state that up front in the first post?

You can trouble shoot by logging into guest account to see if problem persist

or

restart in SafeBoot Mode to see if there is third-party plug-in / extention problem

yep, my bad. You're still getting 10 point if this works:)

• csstech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the Same Problem , Fighting it for the last week . I Talked to a apple Genuis and he told me to reinstal Lion Using Option on start up chime and restoring it from your App store account if bought there . Hope this helps

csstech wrote:

reinstal Lion Using Option on start up chime and restoring it from your App store account if bought there

tried that too, nothing.

OK, some awkward stuff going on over here.. Restarted it in Safe mode, menu bar showed up. Restarted it again in normal mode, menu bar was still there. After another restart, menu bar was gone again. When switching to guest account all I get is a gray screen and a mouse pointer, force reset rquired. Terminal cannot kill systemUIServer process, and systemuiserver.plist file does not exist on my macbook. Strange, isn't it :/ Trashed Dropbox.app, still no use.

Pappa_Z wrote:

OK, some awkward stuff going on over here.. Restarted it in Safe mode, menu bar showed up.

This may indicate you have third-party extention interfering on start-up,  or you are firing up third-party software.

Open your >SysPreferences>Users&Groups> Log-in items and remove any added third-Party that could be interfering. Need to unlock the padlock - sign to fully remove form the list

When switching to guest account all I get is a gray screen and a mouse pointer, force reset rquired.

You may have something bigger going on here.

Terminal cannot kill systemUIServer process, and systemuiserver.plist file does not exist on my macbook.

I thought you said this is the first thing you tried above?

The com.apple.systemuiserver.plist is in your user folder ~/Library/Preferences/ com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

The ~/Library is hidden in Lion however Finder>Go (dropdown menu) hold the option key to see the ~/Library

Terminal cannot kill systemUIServer

This is not correct command line,  unix is case sensitive, it should read:

killall SystemUIServer

Short of this I would consider backing up and re-installing the OS X Lion if problems persist.

Terminal cannot kill systemUIServer process, and systemuiserver.plist file does not exist on my macbook.

I thought you said this is the first thing you tried above?

I did, and cannot anymore. Really strange. Reinstaling now:/
    How I wish downgrade to Leopard was possible without losing data, don't have any backup..

Re-installed, same thing. Lion *****. Any news on 7.1 update?

• albert clyde Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

same thing happend to me.. still waiting for this situation to be fixed.

• mac.taych Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same issue.

Temporary solution is do not shutdown the Mac.

Otherwise need to reinstall Lion to get menu bar icon back.

Hopefully someone can advise the solution very soon.

I'm using this MacBook for work.

This issue caused me can't connect to network/Internet, also perform print job >.<

• albert clyde Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

you may try to boot to safe mode by holding down the shift key.

its been 4 days since ive last encountered the issue. what i did was boot to safe mode. cleaned unwanted networks and delete items in locations. delete some cache/logs using onyx. fingers crossed X

• mac.taych Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

yes. i manage to get back menu bar after tried boot to safe mode and restart.

but after restart again then menu bar missing again (no time,batt,time machine,bluetooth,wifi icon).

i'm tired to repeat same process, just let my macbook sleep when not using it.

lately many problem on my 2yrs+ macbook.

swollen battery another issue.

Previous 1 2 3 Next