Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Rebuild Corrupt Icons?

I upgraded to Lion and my Trash icon in the dock is corrupted. The icon will fix itself if I drag something to the trash and then remove the same item from the trash. While I'm entertained by the idea of putting video corruption in the trash, it looks like boiled ****.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 8:28 AM

Repair problems with incorrect icons in OS X

Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. Copy & paste:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Return and let the process run to completion, it will put you back out at the prompt.

Restart your Mac

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2011 8:28 AM in response to peschkaj

Repair problems with incorrect icons in OS X

Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. Copy & paste:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Return and let the process run to completion, it will put you back out at the prompt.

Restart your Mac

Feb 7, 2012 8:46 AM in response to peppermint

Is this issue isolated only to your desktop icons or is it pervasive throughout the whole folder structure of your computer?

try this:

1. Click on the background picture of the desktop.

2. View>Show View options (from the top menu bar)

3. Is the "Show icon preview" checkbox unchecked?

also, is there any way you could supply a screenshot of some of the effected items?

EE

Feb 7, 2012 9:01 AM in response to ebinellis

its isolated to the harddisc which is connected to the WD LIVE HD Player somtimes.

there the icons are displayed not with the picture itself, (only the thumbnails) they are displayed with a different picture from another jpg image.

yes, my finder is set to show icon preview.

screenshot i can do, but you wont see anything special, just a bunch of jpg image thumbnails in the

finder window, where you can see, that some of the jpg thumbnails have the identical icon preview, although they are different JPG pictures and are not related to the thumb preview at all. it has nothing to do there, you know...

thanks!

How do I Rebuild Corrupt Icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.