Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 51 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2015 11:10 AM by Eye Poker
STG Level 1 (0 points)

I can define an email as junk... but cannot find an icon or anything under 'message' for marking as NOT junk. This option seems to have disappeared with Lion's arrival.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • captfred Level 7 (26,290 points)

The thumbs down icon (mark as junk) should change to a thumbs up icon (mark as not junk) when you click on any mail in the junk mail folder that has already been marked as junk.

Screen Shot 2011-08-06 at 4.58.08 PM.png

Regards,

Captfred

• Colin Robinson Level 6 (8,315 points)

I can see one in mine when I select the message in the Junk folder:

Screen Shot 2011-08-06 at 22.17.44.png

Regards,

Colin R.

Mail > view > show toolbar.

• Colin Robinson Level 6 (8,315 points)

Oh it's there as well on mine but I was going for the 'show the Not Junk button on the message' approach

Tim Toady

(perl: There Is More Than One Way To Do It)

Ah, good point. 

• STG Level 1 (0 points)

The only way the 'not junk' button shows up then is if I have actually marked something in the Spam folder as Junk...and decide that it really isn't ??? 

• leroydouglas Level 6 (17,762 points)

In Mail, the Spam folder and Junk folder are distinctly different.  Spam folder is in relation to 3rd party software for spam filtering which makes the junk folder obsolete and decommissioned.

ex.  see SpamSieve for superior control and spam filtering.

From the Mail Help menu:

Mark messages as junk or not junk

Mail can analyze the content of incoming messages and identify which ones are likely to be junk mail. It highlights these messages in color (by default, in brown) in your Inbox.

If you receive messages that have been highlighted as junk, or messages that are junk but weren’t highlighted, you can mark the messages as not junk or junk. When you mark messages, Mail updates the junk mail database accordingly. Over time, Mail will identify junk mail more accurately.

HideMark messages as junk

To identify one or more messages in your Inbox as junk mail, select the messages and then choose Message > Mark > As Junk Mail, or click the Junk icon in the Mail toolbar.

HideMark messages as not junk

To correct one or more messages that have been misclassified as junk and moved to the Junk mailbox, select the messages and then choose Message > Mark > As Not Junk Mail, or click the Not Junk icon in the Mail toolbar.

• Jeffrey Lee Level 4 (2,500 points)

Ok soooooo

I have mail that is in an INBOX marked as Spam. How do I change it's status to NOT SPAM?

• AdamKB Level 2 (335 points)

(deleted)

• earlymusic Level 1 (0 points)

This works on email that is NOT from the exchange server (ie it works in mail from me.com and it works with gmail) where I can also see the "not junk" button.

However for email from the exchange server there is no "not junk" button and the "thumbs down" icon does NOT change to thumbs up.  There is also NO menu option "mark-not junk mail"  I've looked all over and I am stumped.  It's only a problem eith the exchange server.  Particularly important because this is work email.

Plus it's marking a lot of legitimate email as "junk" so I really need to be able to unmark it or trun off junk email filtering (which I'd really rather not do).

Any help MUCH appreciated

• cupotea1 Level 1 (0 points)

Agreed! I am experiencing this with an exchange account as well. Please help!

• TheBigR Level 1 (0 points)

I agree also! No choices or actions to mark as "not junk".

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,885 points)

Right click the message, choose 'Mark', then choose 'Not Junk', what is so difficult about that?

• earlymusic Level 1 (0 points)

What is so difficult is that in EXCHANGE emails (only in emails from the exchange server) there IS no "not junk" button or menu option to click when you choose "Mark"

It is there for Google Mail, Apple Mail, and probably other servers but not in Exchange mail (which for many of us is our work email server)

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next