Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Mail search a downgrade?

I've always been satisfied with the Mail.app search facility, until Lion. It works differently, and I can't locate things that were easily located before.

For instance, if I had searched "buy.com" prior to Lion, a list of the messages to and from buy.com would appear, even if "buy.com" only appeared in the address. Now a search yields nothing, even though I have messages from buy.com in my Mail folders.

Is there a way to cause Mail to search as effectively as it did before Lion, or is this a downgrade? This is definitely not an isolated issue for me. I am now constantly not able to locate messages I now are either in the Inbox or another folder, even when I search words that are in the body of a message.

iMac 9,1, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 8:43 AM

43 replies

Aug 10, 2011 9:18 AM in response to CT

CT wrote:

Yes. Well. Most people don't have this problem, I assume. I certainly have no such problems.

What happens when you use spotlight to search for buy.com?

What could be less helpful that this? What does it matter if "most people" don't have a problem if some do, and those some have expressed themselves in this forum.

As a computer user since 1982 I can attest that there is rarely a bug that affects all or most users; it usually affects a subset of users.

Aug 10, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Child'sViewReviews

If you want to downgrade, just use AppCleaner (google it) to delete Mail, then install an older version on your computer via apple website.

1) It doesn't take a special app to delete Mail.

2) Older versions of Mail will not run on a newer version of the OS.

3) There is nowhere online that you can legally download Mail, certainly not from the Apple web site.

4) If you were to find a copy of Mail to download, you'd be stupid to do so, since it could be malware and not actually Mail.

5) Since no part of your post would work even remotely, it's obvious you haven't tried this solution. Refer to item 2.5 in the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.

Aug 10, 2011 10:18 AM in response to Satchmo

Just off the phone after a long stint with Apple support about this.

Spotlight could find the message files. Files that were cached on the POP server (for a month) were searchble, but those stored on the Mac were not.

The tenacioius (A+) Apple support tech traced the problem to the file User > Library > Mail > V2 > MailData > Envelope Index. He had me close Mail, drag Envelope Index to the desktop, and restart Mail, which acted as though it were being opened for the first time. I clicked Continue (I think it said) and Mail restored all of the messages and settings (whew!). When it was done I closed Mail and reopened. Again I had to click through as if it were the first time, and then the messages appeared. It took several minutes for Mail to reindex the messages, which it does independently from Spotlight. It now appears to search properly.

Aug 11, 2011 3:08 PM in response to sarah_calumet

Bummer, Sarah.

I'm sure you waited awhile before searching your Mail.

You can start by doing what the Apple tech did with me. Try to figure out if there is a particular date before which the messages can't be located. Check to see if that date is before or after when you have chosen to "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message." in Prefs > Accounts. Mine is set to "after one month" and that was exactly the date before which messages were not findable. That's how we determined that the messages on the server cache were still searchable.

Aug 11, 2011 3:27 PM in response to Satchmo

Whee! Working now.

After removing the Envelope Index file, I tried searching soon after mail restarted (but maybe too soon?). Then started reindexing spotlight according to other threads (it's still not finished with that). Whichever it was, now it's working.

My symtoms more precisely were that some things worked fine, mainly people. For others, I didn't get the pop-under options ("people", "subject", etc), only something like "search all messages", and the search word never went into a little bubble like it does when type is selected.

Anyhow, the combination of dumping the Envelope Index and reindexing spotlight have fixed it.

Yeah!

Thanks!

Lion Mail search a downgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.