Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP B9180 barfing ink all over my prints

Hey all, this might not be an A3 issue but since updating the HP driver, I cannot print from A3 to any paper as it throw up ink all over my paper essentially turning every photo black.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for the help.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 8:12 AM

8 replies

Aug 13, 2011 10:37 PM in response to rbrown1973

Hi, same issue!

With Aperture 3: photo and plain paper settings = huge amount of ink;

With Word for Mac: printing on plain paper (with a picture embedded) is ok.

With iPhoto: printing on plain paper is ok but NOT on with photo paper setting (huge amount of ink)

HP B9180 printer driver 3.3.0 on iMac running Lion.

Test print is ok (including when started from hp printer utility running on Mac)

I have already reset the printer(s) (also checked Apple software for update) without result.

Daniel

Jun 13, 2012 4:23 AM in response to rbrown1973

Just curious, since having this problem, how many people have looked inside their b9180s to change a printhead or what-not. Much of the inside of this HP gadget of mine is now covered in a thin, sticky, black ink film. The bar on which the printhead-cage rides back and forth is smeared black with ink that comes off if dampened. A spongy foam bit that runs the width of the printer at the bottom is soaked in tacky, black goo. I've not yet stuck a flashlight down in there for a better look around — waiting for protective gear to arrive.

When I went to manually check a complaining printhead today, the lid on the printhead-cage stuck to my fingers when I popped it open. I was surprised. It was completely black. I didn't realize it's actually blue, until I wiped off all the ink.

Question is: after the season of ink flooding, the ink-spill, is this coating on the inside of my photosmart normal wear and tear or something else? And why have my printheads gone from good to fair to fix-me, replace-me, feed-me-money?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Related thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3243855 in which included is the comment:

"I did contact HP by e-mial [sic] about this and got a call from them. They blamed Apple since it was downloaded from Apple Software Update. And Apple blame HP. Catch 22!"

Ah. All's (an ink)well that ends literarily.

HP B9180 barfing ink all over my prints

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.