Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use virtual guitarist 2, now on Snow Leopard.

Hello,

I work with Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2 on iMac Snow Leopard OS.

I read little or nothing about whether it will still work or not work on OS Lion.

Occasionally I read that this will not work.

Am I doomed to stay at Snow Leopard OS, or even never to buy a new iMac (standard Lion installed)?

This VG 2 software is an important tool for me.

Will there be any solution available in the future?

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 11:02 AM

I received an answer from Steinberg support.

Quote:

"

Dear Luc,

thank you for your email. I understand where you're coming from, but please

also note that support for Virtual Guitarist 2 has been discontinued for quite a while now.

However, you can manually edit the path in Lion.

On your Macintosh HD where Lion is installed go to Library -> Preferences and look for

"com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist"

Double-click the file to open it with the Property List Editor.

You should see one entry called "Data Path". Alter the path to the one where you have installed the content,

e.g.

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Virtual Guitarist 2 Content/

Then save the file and close the Property List Editor. Now Virtual Guitarist 2 should find its content.

If you have further questions feel free to contact me/us again.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Sebastian Moench

Steinberg Support"

Unquote.

Hope this works.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2011 11:02 AM in response to luc Soens

I received an answer from Steinberg support.

Quote:

"

Dear Luc,

thank you for your email. I understand where you're coming from, but please

also note that support for Virtual Guitarist 2 has been discontinued for quite a while now.

However, you can manually edit the path in Lion.

On your Macintosh HD where Lion is installed go to Library -> Preferences and look for

"com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist"

Double-click the file to open it with the Property List Editor.

You should see one entry called "Data Path". Alter the path to the one where you have installed the content,

e.g.

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Virtual Guitarist 2 Content/

Then save the file and close the Property List Editor. Now Virtual Guitarist 2 should find its content.

If you have further questions feel free to contact me/us again.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Sebastian Moench

Steinberg Support"

Unquote.

Hope this works.

Feb 7, 2013 2:33 PM in response to luc Soens

I have just performed this fix to get Virtual Guitarist 2 running under Lion. I have a couple of tips:

1) You should now use Xcode 4 to edit the .plist (free on the app store), which now includes the editing functionality previously in the Preference List Editor application

2) You will probably have to copy the .plist to your desktop, then edit it with Xcode, then copy it back (in order to be claim ownership of the file temporarily which allows you to edit it)

3) Don't forget the trailing slash to the VG2 content directory.

4) The installers (both those on the disk, and the update on Steinbergs website) seem to install the plugins, but not the content data. You must manually copy the content data off the original DVD to a location on your HDD before linking it up with VG2 using the .plist edit.

Hope someone finds this useful. Many thanks @luc Soens for creating this post which really helped me out!

Mar 2, 2013 2:18 PM in response to williamrice

Could you tell me what version of the Syncosoft licenser software you are using for the Steinberg key? and also is it the eLC or the older LLC?

VG2 works well on my PPC but after reading this, would like to use it on my Mac Pro. I want to use a version of the syncrosoft that will work with this in Snow Leopard but not wreck the firmware on my key so as not to jeopardize VG2 on the PPC. Thank you.

Apr 3, 2013 7:33 PM in response to luc Soens

Hi there,

So I had exactly the same problem as you and solved it the following way.

(and this is courtesy of another thread on a Pro Tools site where they solved it).

1. If you still have VG2 installed on the priginal machine it came on, then you can just go to the Library/Preferences folder in there and fine the .com Steinberg file.

2. Copy this onto a thumb drive and copy it to your new machine - to the desktop

3. You MUST have Xcode 4 (free download from the Apple Developer site - which you may have to sign up for)

4. Double click it to open it in Xcode 4 - find the "Path" and edit to the new volume / locationyou have the VG2 content.

5. Save the file

6. Navigate to you Library/Preferences area in your new system and cut and paste the file into the Preferences folder

THis is what I did and it worked perfectly.

However - IF you do not even have the com file from an old install of VG2 on an older machine/older operating system, then this may not work.

Ping me and let me know - maybe I can copy mine and let you have it to see if that works?

Cheers

Stefan

I use virtual guitarist 2, now on Snow Leopard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.