Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking Finder Icon in Dock Doesn't Open New Finder Window

On my MBP with Lion, the left clicking the finder icon does nothing. It doesn't even change the menu bar focus to finder. I can right click and then open a new window. This works like I am accustomed to on my MBP with Lion.

Any ideas to fix this?

Thanks,

Geraldo.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 6:44 AM

24 replies

Jul 6, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Ebola

Open Terminal, type

killall Dock

and press 'return' on the keyboard.

That will solve the issue temporarily. But to fix it permanently you need to go find the 3rd party software that is causing the conflict, probably in your Login Items if a restart didn't fix it. Look here:

 > System Preferences... > Users & Groups | Login Items

Likely suspects are things like

Total Spaces

Path Finder

BetterTouchTool

BetterFinder

but the list of possibilities is endless. Easiset thing to do is just remove EVERYTHING from your login items.

Jul 6, 2012 8:42 AM in response to softwater

Hi softwater,

Thank you for the suggestions and tips. I entered the terminal command and the Dock vanished, then re-appeared. But the issue wasn't fixed--even temporarily. I am also experiencing the same issue with the Trashcan icon. I will try removing the login items and see if that fixes something. I can't restart my system now as I am in the middle of completing a task.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Jul 6, 2012 8:55 AM in response to ariestav

Moving the login items on its own won't fix anything until you do a restart afterwards.

If that doesn't help, then as soon as you can you should restart your mac in Safe Mode and see if the issue persists.

To start in Safe Mode, restart your mac while holding down the shift key until you see the grey screen with the  logo and a progress bar underneath it. When the progress bar completes, log in to your normal account and test.

Nov 20, 2012 4:35 PM in response to Ebola

I ended up having to kill the WindowServer process to resolve this. Killing Dock and Finder numerous times didn't change the broken behaviour. Be warned though, most user application are children of WindowProcess, hence it pretty much kills all your open applications - that probably has something to do with why it works.

Had I used `pstree` I may have been able to finder Finder's direct parent and kill it. I believe "mdworker" is typically Finder's parent process.

Mar 12, 2015 2:05 PM in response to simosahla

Deleting a preference .plist may work sometimes, and has been common practice in the past, but has never been officially supported by Apple* and can lead to unexpected results (not usually serious), especially on 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and above. The generally recommended way to clear preferences is the command-line defaults command in the Terminal, if you are comfortable using it. In this case, that command would be: defaults delete com.apple.finder

*If you are shocked to hear this (as I was a couple years ago), here's the official word--read the paragraph under "CFPreferences Plist Files." (in developer-speak, "private implementation detail" means "you may not rely on this.")

Clicking Finder Icon in Dock Doesn't Open New Finder Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.