Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't you block numbers on an Iphone??

I cant seem to figure out how, Its strange that you cant cause other phones have this option

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 4:56 AM

27 replies

Aug 17, 2011 5:40 AM in response to michmac21

Mobile telephones cannot block incoming calls. Not iPhone, not any. There exist three different methods for "blocking" incoming calls from a specific number:

1. Have the carrier do it. Not all carriers offer the service, others do but charge you for it. Some require you to call them, others have a web-site to add numbers to the list, and a scant few even provide an app for it. This will block the call before it ever gets to your phone. A carrier block will prevent the caller from being sent to voicemail.

2. Ignore the call. Some phones permit you to add a number to an "ignore" list where the phone will not ring, vibrate, or otherwise provide you with feedback that it's receiving a call. If the person persists, the call will fall over to voicemail. Note that while the phone is "ringing" it will block receipt of other calls. The iPhone doesn't support this. You can make an "ignore" contact that has a silent ring, but that's about it.

3. Use a third party. You can sign up for Google Voice, which will provide you with another number for your mobile phone (beside the direct number). Google Voice has a huge number of features, but one of them is the ability to black-list numbers. If you give people your GV number instead of your cell number, it will forward for most calls but those on your blacklist will simply not come through to your phone. You can add to your blacklist with the browser on your phone.

Aug 17, 2011 7:37 AM in response to paulcb

It 'appears' to block the call. In reality, all it's doing is preventing the phone from ringing and possibly rejecting the call as soon as caller ID info is received, sending it to voice mail. It does not truly 'block' the call, however, as the call must reach the phone before it can be rejected.

True call blocking can only happen at the carrier.

Kind of splitting hairs, and mostly meaningless in the eyes of the end user, I'll admit.

Aug 17, 2011 9:31 AM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:

Mobile telephones cannot block incoming calls. Not iPhone, not any.

My wife's Samsung feature phone can. The blocking feature is built into the OS of the phone.

What her phone is doing is not block but send that number straight to VM. There is not mobile phone that just blocks out a phone number like a user mentioned. Only your carrier can. And no, the iPhone does not have the "straight to VM" feature to get back on topic. Honestly, I wish it had. 🙂

Aug 17, 2011 10:32 AM in response to J D McIninch

J D McIninch wrote:

Mobile telephones cannot block incoming calls. Not iPhone, not any. There exist three different methods for "blocking" incoming calls from a specific number:

The Android OS has a feature where, for each contact, you can select "Block". To be precise, I think it just sends the call to voice mail, rather than actually blocks it. I've never actually had reason to use it myself. As I understand it, though, the phone never rings

Aug 20, 2011 9:35 AM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:

And no, the iPhone does not have the "straight to VM" feature to get back on topic. Honestly, I wish it had. 🙂

You can send a call straight to VM on an iPhone by pressing the sleep/wake button twice. Press it once to silence the ring, twice to send to VM.

Ah, good to know. I was refering to the feature some android phones have on a specific phone number. When that number/person calls, it goes straight to VM w/o pressing any buttons. That person might think the phone is turned off instead of calling and then hearing the VM which would mean the person is ignoring you.

Can't you block numbers on an Iphone??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.