Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solid State drive 512gb, does it need to be the primary drive with final cut loaded on it?

I'm having some trouble editing HD with my current default hard drive, so I thought about buying a ssd, but now do I have to move all my apps and OS to the ssd? If so, how do I do that? Or can I just move my render folder to the ssd and make it my primary scratch disk? I knew I should of got the ssd but it totally slipped my mind when I bought the Mac.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:21 AM

9 replies

Aug 17, 2011 8:46 AM in response to rianfromsabie

You usually clone the OS and apps only to SSD.

SSD is useful for audio, can be used for scratch where you are short RAM for CS5.

A WD Black 1.5TB $108 is fine, maybe a couple.

Software stripe RAID for editing, one for system, and for backup - you could go with WD Green 2TB for backups.

http://www.macperformanceguide.com has a "slew" to tips on hard drives, upgrading, and configuring - and Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB. You should look over his site.

First and foremost, clone and clean up and repair, even erase and restore from clone, with your current system and figure out why or what is wrong now.

People buy $$$ ! SSDs then want to limit the writes to preserve the life of the cells and the performance. I feel they are tools to be used.

You never want to leave just the OEM hard drive, or leave other hard drive bays empty. Use 'em.

Aug 17, 2011 8:48 AM in response to msuper69

Well what happened was I experienced dropped frames when viewing my video in the timeline of FCP, and the error message said that my drive is to slow. Motion crashes on me sometimes too, everything else works fine. I actually though it was to do with the music I was using because I recorded it my self using Presonus Studio one and I've noticed that it doesn't always come out the same when I mix down to audio file.

Solid State drive 512gb, does it need to be the primary drive with final cut loaded on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.