Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Lion FaceTime Fix

Did you install the new Lion update and now FaceTime encounters an error and will not log you in? Before editing your HOSTS file and other files that we really shouldn't be playing around with... This video may be the solution to your problem!

Here is the link to my youtube video on the fix. Thought it might be easier then writing it out!

LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6W040MWbc

FaceTime-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 9:48 PM

24 replies

Aug 18, 2011 2:53 AM in response to Michael Clarner

CET (Central European Time) Usually comes standard for mac and when start up your machine it detects your location and changes it for you. If you have deleted it that can sometimes cause an issue by affecting your integrated location service.
You can try my TimeZone fix guide I quickly put together last night. I havnt done much to the page so it pretty plain.
Check it out here: OS X Time Zone Repair

Aug 18, 2011 3:05 AM in response to peter jfromvalparaiso

YES! Gotta have good music when trying to solve an issue!

I dont like usually messing with network connections or network document files unless necessary. One wrong keystroke can cause a headace.

If it is asking you to check your network connection there could be a firewall blocking facetime. I would check that first. You can try reseting your modem but make sure your mac is completely shut down and FaceTime is not running. I had to port-forward my iPad 2 to get FaceTime to work.

Also you can try configuring your DNS: (make sure FaceTime is closed)

Go to your system preferences → network → make sure WI-FI selected → advanced → DNS tab. Add 8.8.8.8 to the DNS servers. Go back to FaceTime and try to verify your account again.

If worst comes to worst then if you havent tried the HOSTS file fix you can give that a shot.

Aug 18, 2011 8:44 AM in response to aceiswild

You have no idea the extent to which I found your music humorous. Watching your clip on YouTube was unique it reminded me of a magical act. I laughed all the way to the another part of the house while it was playing in the other room. NOW back to the problem, which may require an exorcist.

I checked the DNS and added 8.8.8.8 but in the adjacent window nothing is on the same line. Up above what I just added is a 192. ........ with some frd code.

Now, the OS X TimeZone Fix scared me. In the terminal window I added that line you have sudo defaults write..... then it warned me about the change that I would lose files and other scary things. Should I proceed back to this and do it? Then I know as you handout shows I also have to remove the timezone symbolic link - should I do this and suffer no additional problems?

I kind of miss the music now... (LOL!)

Aug 18, 2011 11:25 AM in response to peter jfromvalparaiso

haha yeah youtube wouldnt let me use my music so i choose from their list.

Okay! You can put your DNS back to default by removing or minusing all the IP's you have put in your self unless you are using them for a different program. Removing them will automatically display your Local Modem IP and your DNS Primary Address.

As for terminal, it is safe to continue. In the first command basically what you are doing is getting own permission to access the "localtime" folder to make changes.... in the second command you are removing the "localtime" folder which then will be recreated after you reset your date & time and your zone in Prefrences.

After you have done this i would make sure the following boxes are checked for Setting the Date & Time Automatically and Set your TimeZone Automatically. Reset your computer to confirm everything.

Give it a try. Im really hoping Apple can come out with a update for this as it is becoming more of a problem.

Oct 22, 2011 9:59 PM in response to peter jfromvalparaiso

I am just curious, what did the update change that allows FaceTime to work?! (Because I tried about six different suggestions from this support community before the update and NOTHING worked.) I looked a several settings and cannot see what was changed in the update.

Do the first major update and let me know if FaceTime works. At least I can log into it now.

Message was edited by: peter jfromvalparaiso

Message was edited by: peter jfromvalparaiso

OS X Lion FaceTime Fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.