Previous 1 2 3 Next 44 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2016 3:13 PM by bunnislippers
Curtis Tucker Level 2 (270 points)

One of my favorite new features in Finder is the option to "Arrange by Date Added".

I have a folder with three items added today. As expected, when viewed in Finder they are listed at the top of the window (in column view) in the "Today" section.

When I want to add  these items as a new "source" in Handbrake, the newly added items in this folder do not appear in the "Today" section. They appear in the "No Date" section instead.

The same thing happens when, after processing with Handbrake, I want to add the newly created media files to my iTunes library. They appear in the "No Date" section of the window rather than the "Today" section.

To recap: Files added to a folder today appear in the "Today" section when viewed in Finder. The same files appear in the "No Date" section when viewed through applications other than Finder.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7)
  • johanhallstrom Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem, very annoying.

Have you found any solution?

• ErikTes Level 1 (5 points)

I was struggling with this as well for a long time, and I just found a fix. I think the "No Date" problem is related to the Date format specified in the Language Preference Pane. I had a Swedish date format, and recently saved documents were sometimes categorized as "no date".

I switched the date format to English and now everything shows up fine in Finder. My guess is that this problem may occur when the date format is different from the OS language format.

• Barney-15E Level 8 (46,329 points)

I've seen this only on Open File dialogs in Safari. My Finder windows and other Open File dialogs show up correctly. I'm not sure what it is. I don't use any other languages so it is not that. More than likely it is an indexing problem

• Harutyun Level 1 (0 points)

I see this problem a lot now on OS X 10.8.2, and as I heavily rely on this functionality it starts to be annoying. Please, if anyone found solution for post it here.

• vancouverwill Level 1 (0 points)

I am having this problem, really annoying when sorting a folder for new files. anyone have any ideas?

• Craig Danuloff Level 1 (0 points)

I struggle against this all day with edited photoshop files - solution please!

• Harutyun Level 1 (0 points)

@Craig Danuloff I found that my problem was somehow connected with Google Chrome Browse Files diolog only. When the day switches chrome stops correclty showing files sorted by date, but looking in Finder I found they are correctly listed. Closing Chrome (selecting Quit from menu) and opening it agian fixes the problem.

Just thought this may help you

• vancouverwill Level 1 (0 points)

@Harutyun Thanks for the reply but if that is the problem then I don't know if that is really a solution. I work in Chrome all the time moving files around and can't quit out of chrome all the time.

I checked with Firefox and am getting the same issues on there.

Any new files are getting shown in no date section of the file open windowin browsers.

NOTE: this doesn't affect the general finder window

• jeromio Level 1 (0 points)

This is a bug and it needs to get fixed by Apple.

• jjswin Level 1 (0 points)

I think I just fixed this:

1. Open Settings

2. Click Date and Time

3. Uncheck 'Set Date and time automatically"

Obviously you lose out by not having the date and time change automatically, but you can always flick it on when you need to. I think most people are aware when the clocks go back and forth.

I was mistaken; it doesn't work

• aspren01 Level 1 (0 points)

I got the problem temporarily fixed by resetting NVRAM (PRAM):

- restart your Mac

- during startup press alt-cmd-p-r until you hear a second chime

- no more "no date" files :-)

Please note:

- I'm running OSX 10.8.4

- the problem occured for me when opening files through a web browser like Safari

- It only happened when I had as a file sorting criteria "Date Modified" selected

- The alt-cmd-p-r key combination is know as "zapping the NVRAM / PRAM". The PRAM is a programmable chip that holds various bits of information about your computer's hardware along with other items. It's role is similar to a BIOS chip in a typical PC.

- I still believe there is a bug - so the procedure above may only resolve the problem temporarily

I hope that this will reolve your problems, too.

The solution was provided by the Apple support team. Great job. Thanks.

• iBen3.1415 Level 1 (0 points)

I think the problem is with (most) non-apple apps which use the file dialog.

From my experience they all work fine on the day you launch the application. If you leave the application running the next day it won't show newly added files at the top but they appear at the bottom under No Date

E.g. when I open the Chrome file dialog it shows me under Today files from the 6th of June (that's when I last launched Chrome. Today is the 27th. So it seems Chrome and a lot of other applications don't update the date for the file dialog.

On the bottom under No Date, the file dialog lists all the files that were added since the 6th of June (which Chrome still thinks is today).

I don't know the API but my guess is 3rd party applications are not setting the date correctly when opening the file dialog. IMHO this should be done automatically.

Update: I just checked some Apple applications and e.g. Numbers and Pages have the same problem while e.g. Preview doesn't.

Let's hope it will be fixed with Mavericks

• deadofnight Level 1 (0 points)

Well I would think honestly it is in Apple hands as iBen mentioned some Apple apps have this issue too. Really doesn't make sense to not have the funcionality work after midnight. I have to restart or log off to get it to work. I also find this very annoying as it is a great feature. I only used if for a few apps and it doesn't work with any of them if after midnight or a new day since restarting.

I tried to report to bugreporter.apple.com/ but dosn't let me log in so I am going to try and get some assitance on why not from Apple support.

• AlanPreston Level 1 (0 points)

Anyone have any luck with this? Upgrading to Mavericks didn't fix it. For me, Finder is always correct. It's Office 2011 for Mac and Adobe Acrobat that don't seem to be staying up to date. Restarting fixes it, but what a pain. Very frustrating.

Previous 1 2 3 Next