Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting iPad name from dynamic IP

Hi,

I am trying to build a tool that needs to be aware of the incoming request's machine name and check if they are coming from a registered machine. I am not allowed to assign static IP's to the iPad's, and also not allowed to use NAT'ed addresses. Furthermore, I may not have access to the DHCP list. My basic idea was that I can have the iPad users register through a website, where they register their iPad's. Whenever I get a request (through a dynamic IP), I would use a tool like ping (or likewise) to get the iPad name and do a db lookup to confirm that the iPad is registered.

First of all, is this possible?

I can ping the iPad's dynamic IP but can't get information like hostname out using -a flag.

Let me provide more detail about my situation:

• I am on a Windows-based network with AD.
  • Let's assume my ipad name is gorkemsipad.
  • Let's assume my company adds ".win.ad.company.com" extension to each hostname.
  • I want to be able to get the name (or dhcp client id) of my ipad from a Windows or Linux machine (not OSX).

If I try to ping gorkemsipad, gorkemsipad.local, or gorkemsipad.win.ad.company.com, hostname does not resolve.

I have the dhcp client id set to be the same as the ipad name (gorkemsipad).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gorkem

iPad, iOS 4.2

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 8:25 AM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 12:23 PM in response to gorkem86

I realize this thread is ~ 4 years old, but I am having the exact same problem. (I am NOT a developer.)

I am a network Admin for a small non-profit school that instructs kids with Autism. We have a Windows Network; we use Active Directory. Our school has a 1:1 student to teacher ratio. 35 "Learners" (Students) and 35 teachers. We have about 80 iPads. I have been using "ping -a" to ping ALL of them and NONE of them will return their HOSTNAME, which is what the "-a" flag is supposed to do. So, I figure that "by now" apple *must* have realized the importance of being able to ping an Apple device and have said device return its HOSTNAME.

(BTW - "HOSTNAME" is historically the "only" important name a computer should have with regard to networked computers. Networking - in the computer sense - is supposed to be brand-agnostic AND OS-agnostic. Which is why I'm so perplexed as to why Apple does NOT seem to "play nice". I totally get that Apple has always been trying to deliver maximum profits to their stockholders by, um, doing things a *little* differently. But, how the heck does Apple expect to sell more product when you can't use simple network tools - like "ping -a" - ???? I am new to Apple as I have never been able to afford their products, so I apologize to anybody who may take offense to my being so frustrated with Apple Inc.)

Any help, would be appreciated !! Oh - 1 more thing. Because these autistic kids are so ornery and because I'm not supposed to touch the iPads or bother the teachers, I need a way to get the HOSTNAME from 80 iPads THROUGH THE NETWORK. 1 iPad is for the teacher (35) & one iPad is for the student (35), so I have to do this for at least 70 iPads

I don't HAVE to use "ping -a", but I would like to know what command to use. I could probably get access to 1 iPad, to open a terminal window and run an "Apple version of 'ping -a' ", but I have never used an Apple terminal window before. I used to know some Linux commands, so I might recognize some of the nomenclature.

HELP!!! LOL!

Getting iPad name from dynamic IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.