Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud -- iCal & Outlook?

Regarding iCloud, on the apple website it says:

iCloud works great with popular applications including Mail and iCal on a Mac and Microsoft Outlook on a PC.

Does this mean that with iCloud I will be able to sync my calendar on iCal on my iPad with my calendar in Outlook on my desktop?

iPad 2

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 5:46 AM

22 replies

Oct 10, 2011 8:39 AM in response to GreekGeek1157

You can't get a definite answer because iCloud hasn't been released yet, so all anyone here or even at Apple Support knows is what is on the web pages Apple's posted in iCloud, as I said before. And that's not likely to change until iCloud is released. I understand the frustration of not being able to get an answer, but lack of full details is common with products and services Apple has not yet released (in part because such details can change at the last minute). Please don't take your frustration out on fellow users.

Regards.

Oct 12, 2011 7:14 PM in response to a.veres

Just starting working with iCloud on my iPad2 and Outlook 2007. The setup went well and was pretty speedy. My Calendar and Contacts arrived on the ipad. The problem arose when I opened Outlook. iCloud wiped my PST Calendar and Contacts and opens up a new profile with iCloud Calendar and Contacts. Two separate Calendar panes. Also does not display my ToDo items on the side pane of the Calendar. Not sure this is a winner in my mind. Will do more investigation and testing. Have not tried to sync my Blackberry yet!!!

Regards,

Oct 16, 2011 10:24 AM in response to a.veres

iCloud, Outlook and Blackberry do not work together at all. With iCloud wiping out the main Outlook profile, Blackberry can not sync and then tries to delete all Calendar and Contacts off the Blackberry as if they have been removed from Outlook. So have deleted iCloud.

Too bad Apple did not consider a better interface with Outlook instead of forcing a new Profile.

Regards,

Oct 17, 2011 9:15 AM in response to a.veres

I experienced the same issues and shock when first seeing that iCloud transferred all my calendar items and contacts to its own directory. There are certainly some compatibility issues between both setups, but here are some observations I have found from my own tinkering. By the way, my iPhone is 3G and we have iMac (Lion) and iPad, so a mix of iOS 4 and 5.

1. In outlook, iCloud calendar does not display reminders in the "to do" bar, which I use exhaistively. I manually checked the boxes for both iCloud calendar and Outlook's "My Calendar" to show them side by side, then manually went in to "drag and drop" (Copy) from iCloud to Outlook. This defeats the purpose for total synch, but I figure gets around the issue of day to day operating until a fix can be figured out. This of course means that every new calendar entry in iCloud needs to be duplicated for now.

2. Contacts in iCloud do not include the Outlook Category field, which is a pain. Neither does it bring across all reminders such as birthdays or anniversarys. Again, defeating the purpose, if yoiu select all your contacts within iCloud (I have some 3,000+) and paste them back into Outlooks default, then all fields have been maintained, including categories etc. Again, going forward this requires a duplicate effort in both contact sets to maintain the sync with other iOS devices, while maintaining an outlook view of the world.

Unless one does both of these things, then reminders of events and schedules do not happen.

I do not plan on even tackling the email issue.... this would be too much for my brain to handle at this point.

Hope this helps someone

Eddie

Oct 20, 2011 5:06 PM in response to marvin57

Got it fixed (I think). Went into iPhone view of Calendars and "edit" IT shows "From my Mac" and then "From iCloud.. I clicked of "From my Mac" options and left open "From iCloud".. NowI have only single entries on ical...

I also switched it to test things out.. I can Edit to click on From my Mac options and not From iCloud and I again get only single entries on iPhone iCal view... So having BOTH clicked is what gives me double views.

HOpe this helps someone else....

Or if there is something I am not considering when I turn off one "From..." let me know!

iCloud -- iCal & Outlook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.