Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minimum windows size of Xcode 4.1 ?

Prior to Xcode 4, I could resize the windows to any size I wanted. This was very useful as I could place two windows side by side when I wanted to compare two documents.

Xcode 4 onwards, each windows has a minimum size. Because of this limit, I cannot place two windows side by side, without them overlapping a little on my screen.

This is a nuisance, as I now need to switch between two documents constantly to read text that is otherwise partially hidden.

Is there a way to change this setting so that it is like Xcode 3? It would be so much easier then to compare or read two documents side by side!

Xcode 4.1-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:33 PM

Instead of two windows, simply split one workspace window.

Xcode 4 User Guide Xcode Basics Help Xcode 4 Transition Guide

6 replies

Sep 4, 2011 9:41 AM in response to KeanuReeves

What you want actually goes contra to how XC4 was designed. Hit the docs and links I supplied and learn to use 'workspace' - the ability is still there, you just need to learn a different process. 'easy' to you just means you already have a process 🙂 - give the new method a try...you can still do the same things, and maybe even more.

I think tho that the basic issue for you may be one of screen size/real estate. XC4 uses workspaces to help devs that insist working on laptops or computers with single/smaller monitors. I use three screens normally, but w/XC 4 I spend less time in all of them now.

You can file a bug report against XC4 or stay with XC3 for as long as it lasts. If you intend on working w/XC 4, you're in the same boat as everyone else...learn to use it like it is...the sooner you bite the bullet, the sooner you'll be back to a routine.

Sep 4, 2011 10:56 PM in response to msuper69

Perhaps this is not a problem on desktops with higher resolutions etc.

But on my 15" Macbook pro with high res display, there is some overlap when two documents are placed side by side, and their width cannot be reduced..

I solved the problem.

Xcode ---> View --> Hide toolbar.

The toolbar enforces a minimum size that is slightly greater than half the screen of a 15" Macbook pro high res display.

If you hide the toolbar, then you can reduce the size of the window to almost a quarter of the display.

When hiding the toolbar, you can comfortablly place two windows side by side without overlap.

Minimum windows size of Xcode 4.1 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.