Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPhone from older backup

Hello,

Let me start out by saying thank you for viewing and I hope you can help! I have searched support and haven't found anything that has helped.

Last night I did a normal backup and sync with no problems. Today I noticed that I lost all of my text messages. I don't think it was from when I synced, I actually tried to send a mms and I don't ever remember it going through. In support I have read that people sending mms have had the the screen go white and the text mesages disappear.

I also read that I can restore from a backup. I tried that and no luck, the text messages that were listed only showed 2 from last night and none from this morning so I know that the backup worked but the last backup must have been after this issue happened. What I need is the backup BEFORE last nights. I would much rather lose a couple weeks of text verses 3 years of text.

I wish it was as simple as "select the next one in the list" but it's not. The other file names listed are my husbands iPhone and 4 other files that all have dates of 2009 and older. I sync at least once a month. Where are they and I how do I restore to one from at least this year?

Please help!

Thanks

iPhone 3GS 4.3.5

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 12:37 PM

Every backup replaces the old one, exept those backups you use to restore your phone from, these are marked with a time stamp and will not be replaced by iTunes.

The only hope would be, if you included the iphone backup folder into your computer backup routine and would be able to restore that folder again. After that your old backup would be present in the list again.

More info about the location of that folder for your computer and how to do this can be found here: iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

71 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Mich111

Every backup replaces the old one, exept those backups you use to restore your phone from, these are marked with a time stamp and will not be replaced by iTunes.

The only hope would be, if you included the iphone backup folder into your computer backup routine and would be able to restore that folder again. After that your old backup would be present in the list again.

More info about the location of that folder for your computer and how to do this can be found here: iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

Sep 18, 2011 12:39 PM in response to Mich111

Only one normal iPhone backup is kept by iTunes, it's actually an incremental backup in that only data that has changed is actually backed up. The other backups you see listed for your phone, that are time/date stamped, are backups from restore points. These backups are not overwritten. Unless you regularly backup your computer, and thus would be able to restore your iPhone backup from one of your computer backups, I'm afraid your data is gone.

Nov 13, 2011 7:29 AM in response to Mich111

I had something similar and managed to restore my text messages! You can see what previous back ups you have by opening Itunes and go to edit at the top, then preferences then devices and you can see what back ups you have.

Then plug the phone in and on the left where it comes up as "Name IPhone" right click on it and then go to restore to back up and choose the option you want to roll back to.

This will obviously delete anything since then, luckily for me this was only a couple of days of info which was worth losing to get two years of memories back!

Jun 21, 2012 8:43 PM in response to Mich111

Hi,

I had the same problem. Maybe this will help. Plug your iphone into itunes and right click on the device in the side menu. Select "restore from backup". I was able to restore my iphone to an earlier backup than the most recent. All myt contacts, texts, music and email data was restored. I am using a PC, although I don't think it makes much difference.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Feb 9, 2013 6:41 PM in response to Mich111

I have this problem also. Had other issues with this phone, but this takes the biscuit. I am currently on holiday, and this restore has just erased all holiday snaps + vital contacts. Never have been a fan of apple, following this experience I am now looking at a Samsung Galaxy. This is unforgivable, I feel like throwing this thing against the wall, I am not sure I can bring myself to sell it, as I feel I would be passing a poison chalice. For the time being, I'm going back to my Blackberry.

Feb 23, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Mich111

Hello. Having similar issues w/a twist...

I have an older backup... sitting right there in the Backup folder.... however.. iTunes refuses to see it.

Background:

• upgraded iPhone 4 from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2

• upgrade went smoothly, and all data transferred fine to the phone.

• problem - not a single phone number field on the iPhone.

• eventually resorted to restoring the iPhone again (to 6.1.2), but this time there was a backup just prior the restore (even though I selected do not back up).

Now when trying to backup, iTunes only sees the empty backup just performed. I have deleted the empty backup folder with no luck. When restoring from backup, the pulldown menu only shows the empty backup, not the good backup sitting right there in the same folder.

Any ideas? Deleting pref file?

Mar 20, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Mich111

So let me see if I understand this. Something happens to my phone, and data (in my case most of contact list "disapeared" in the last few days (not sure when). So in order to try and restore, I connect to iTunes, that backs up the current, hosed contact list. So I go to restore, and what do I get back? I have been in software development for over 20 years and this is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing I have ever heard of!

Mar 20, 2013 11:12 PM in response to Mich111

I was helping out my friend to restore his iPhone from his iPhone backup on his PC. Unfortunately, his iPhone backup was somehow corrupted and couldn't be restored.

Luckily, when we set up his computer, we made a copy of iPhone backup and store it in an external drive.

We were able to restore his iPhone from an old backup that has all his contacts!

I would recommend you make a backup of your iPhone backup occasionally for double protection!

Restore iPhone from older backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.