Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to "soft-hyphen" words in Pages?

In editing book text in Pages, the automataic hyphen divides word incorrectly. When I correct it, the hyphen remains when line change differs. In Adobe Pagemaker you could "soft-hyphen" a word to avoid tdhis problem. Can anyone help?

Karl

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 3:39 AM

21 replies

Sep 21, 2011 12:30 PM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy

What you insert is not a soft hyphen

In computing, a soft hyphen (U+00AD,

­
) is a type of hyphen used to specify a place in text where a hyphenated break is allowed without forcing a line break in an inconvenient place if the text is re-flowed.

User uploaded file

We may insert it in Pages document but, as Fruhulda wrote, it’s not treated the 'standard' way by Pages which treat it like a standard hyphen.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 21 septembre 2011 21:30:20

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Sep 25, 2011 9:34 AM in response to karl102

Thank you all for contributing to an answer to my query about soft hyphen. I was looking for a way to insert a hyphen in a word in a block column where the automatic program made a wrong division or I needed to change it for any other reason, without this hyphen appearing later at for instance a change of column. Thanks for your suggestions, but I conclude that there isn't really any way this can be done in Pages.

Too bad, because it means that the program cannot be used for professiional work – in spite of Apple's claim that Pages creates the perfect printed text. I do hope that Apple will dop something about this.

Karl in Oslo

Sep 25, 2011 12:09 PM in response to karl102

In fact, hyphenation is specific to each language. It seems that the tool (or the set of hyphenation rules) used for your language isn't correctly built. I'm not remembering oddities with the French language.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 25 septembre 2011 21:08:05

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Jul 13, 2014 9:08 AM in response to karl102

you can add any character to any program (almost) on a Mac; just go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and select "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar.

In the menu bar click on Show Character Viewer. Type "soft hyphen" into the search box in the title area to the right. The first character is a hyphen, if you click it it becomes selected and to the right you see the name "SOFT HYPHEN". Just below you can click on Favorites for future use. Double clicking the soft hyphen inserts it into the current text at the text mark.

Have fun!

Is there a way to "soft-hyphen" words in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.