Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading memory to 8gb on Macbook 5,2

Hi There

I have a white MacBook 5,2 (2.13Ghz). The boot ROM number is: MB52.0088.B06.

Can it handle 8GB of memory?

Officially it can only handle 4GB but unofficially a fair number of places have confirmed it can handle 6GB.

However it was proven, via a firmware update, that some MacBooks could run 8GB.

According to Other World Computing they state my model can only handle 6 GB but one person on there confirmed he was able to get his to handle 8GB.

http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret-firmware-lets-late-08-macbooks-use-8gb

Another person also confirmed on this very forum that they could handle 8GB:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3008609

However they were both running the following boot ROM:

MB52.0088.B05

That been 1 number lower than mean. So does this mean it is posible to run 8GB but only if runnnig iwth B05 and not B06, as I am? Or has anyone got 8 GB work with the boot ROM: MB51.0088.B06?

The reasons for wanting 8GB is that I keep running out of memory. Currently in Snow Leopard I run Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine [using VMWare Fusion 3 soon to be upgraded to the leatest version 4] and that tales up just over half my memory. If I have Safari open, as well as Mail and other programs, my computer slows down.

If I also wish to run Aperture at the same time, it's just not possible, as that requires at least 1GB when accessing my photo library.

Kind regards

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Running Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 8:19 AM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2011 3:48 PM in response to infobleep

Hey you know what, it worked for me. I've been using my Macbook 5,2 for a couple of weeks now with 8GB ram and it works tremendously better than it had before.

Here's the proof:

User uploaded file

It's 8GB corsair that you get in Amazon for 129 bucks.

I'm actually planning to upgrade to Lion now, and that's how I bumped into your post on Google.

Good Luck upgrading

Ravi

Upgrading memory to 8gb on Macbook 5,2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.