Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MBP: Loud HDD noise and boot-up problems

Just got a new MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.2 GHz with a 750 GB HDD.

I checked for updates, let them all download, clicked to restart, and... the grey installer progress-bar screen before shut-down suddenly quits and the machine shuts down abruptly.

Then it tries to re-start itself, but makes a loud (deep) beep noise, and the white sleep light blinks fast a number of times. It then loses power.

Same thing happens every time I try to start it up.

After I leave it for a few minutes, I'm able to start it up. Then I check for the updates, the same two (Pro firmware EFI 2.2, and Thunderbolt 1.0) appear... seems they weren't installed.

I try again, same problem. Is this hardware or software? I'm scared it's hardware, I don't want them poking around in my machine and replacing random parts, as that can cause more problems in my experience.

Another problem I'm having is that the HDD (only 5400) is spinning quite loudly. I can hear it, all the time, the minute the computer starts up. Never had such a problem on any other Mac.

Do you think they'll replace it?

If they do, I'd like the High-Res screen (I'd pay extra), and perhaps the 7200 RPM HDD (same price, but 500 GB only). Do you think that's possible to do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.2GHz Core i7, 750GB HDD, 4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:17 PM

I have a similar problem. My MacBook Pro is just 2 months old. After an automatic software update I could not get it started. Apple support could not help. Now the MBP is in for repairs since 2 weeks, have no idea when I will get it back (they told me it should be max 5 days, now it's already 2 weeks) I am traveling and need my laptop for business. Fortunately I have kept my old Toshiba laptop. I lost any faith in Apple and reuse my old Toshiba. I never had such a problem with any of my old windows laptops (Toshiba, Sony). I hate the idea to go back to windows or Linux but I need a reliable laptop. Too bad that Apple does not live up to their reputation.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2011 7:17 PM in response to Rudolfensis

I have a similar problem. My MacBook Pro is just 2 months old. After an automatic software update I could not get it started. Apple support could not help. Now the MBP is in for repairs since 2 weeks, have no idea when I will get it back (they told me it should be max 5 days, now it's already 2 weeks) I am traveling and need my laptop for business. Fortunately I have kept my old Toshiba laptop. I lost any faith in Apple and reuse my old Toshiba. I never had such a problem with any of my old windows laptops (Toshiba, Sony). I hate the idea to go back to windows or Linux but I need a reliable laptop. Too bad that Apple does not live up to their reputation.

Brand new MBP: Loud HDD noise and boot-up problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.