Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silverlight plugin does not work!

Hi,

I' ve bought a Macbook pro not so long a go, it's running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 but the Microsoft Silverlight plugin does not seem to work, I tried everything.. Reinstalling, rebooting, installing Flip4mac. Uninstalling everything correctly and installing only the plugin.. I tried different browsers; google chrome, firefox, opera, safari nothing worked.. The plugin is ofcourse installed correctly, I even tried running the browsers in 32bit mode (which was advised at a different forum).. Flash movies are not a problem btw.. I need to use the silverlight plugin to view back TV broadcast from my country.. It does not give an error when I load the movie it just give me a black screen (and no sound) and says closed...

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Would be much appreciated

greets Bram

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 12:21 PM

30 replies

Oct 2, 2011 8:07 PM in response to BramSko

BramSko wrote:

I need to use the silverlight plugin to view back TV broadcast from my country.. It does not give an error when I load the movie it just give me a black screen (and no sound) and says closed...

As you know, Silverlight is copy protection technology and perhaps it's not authorizing you to see the content.

Oct 3, 2011 12:44 AM in response to BramSko

Thanks for your responds guys,

I took a look at http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/default.aspx

Watched the demo ( http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/iis-smooth-streaming/demo/#/on-demand )

It gives me no video (black screen) but it do gives me audio. When I go to the Silverlight section it says I have the latest version.. Also when I go to case-studies section for example I am able to see the still pictures...

The sites where I want to watch the broadcast streams ( http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl & http://www.rtlgemist.nl) explicitly say they are mac-supported (I just need to download Silverlight).

I am kinda an apple-noob, maybe I am making some rookie mistake?

Thanks again for taking time to help me solve the problem..

Oct 25, 2011 6:03 AM in response to BramSko

I have the exact same problem. Silverlight will not work in any of my browsers, despite trying to reinstall, delete previos versions etc etc etc.

I am also trying to watch TV broadcasts and that's when the problem starts. Chrome just crashes, while safari goes blank (and sometimes reports of a plugin problem)

I have tried accessing the same website from a different mac, and they seem to be working well there.

Aug 12, 2012 8:51 AM in response to BramSko

i followed someone else's advice (kinda) and found all the silverlight files in "INVISIBLE FILES".

In the Finder, choose File > Find or press Command (⌘)-F.
From the far-left pop-up menu (labeled “Kind”), choose Other.
In the list of search attributes, select the “File invisible” checkbox, and then click OK.
In the related menu, choose Invisible Items.

once loaded go to folder Private

then to folder VAR

then folder db

theb folder Receipts

scroll to any com.microsoft.silverlight item and delete. there are a bunch of them.

close, restart and install silverlight.

Sep 29, 2012 1:07 PM in response to BramSko

Hey,

WebTV(.xs4all.nl) worked fine.

Until it started nagging about 'install silverlight plugin'

Or

It just showed me a black screen with a (xs4all) provider logo.

And guess what: installing did not work.

tried this, tried that.

Then in the Microsoft Silverlight app

I deleted all the websites in 'application storage'.

That did the job.

Macbook pro, Mountain Lion.

Jan 24, 2014 6:45 AM in response to BramSko

I realize this is answering an old post, but I just ran across this. What worked for me: Install Silverlight, then go into Safari Properties. In the "Advanced" section there is an option labeled "disable plug-ins to save power" (or something similar). It's checked by default, so the Silverlight plugin doesn't work.

Uncheck that box, save the settings, and restart Safari. Silverlight now works.

Silverlight plugin does not work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.