Previous 1 2 3 Next 241 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 10:01 AM by stevejobsfan0123 Branched to a new discussion.
Matrix X2 Level 1 (115 points)

I am aware of the minor new features in the new iPhone 4S, but am wondering if Siri will be in the iPhone 4 when ios 5 comes out next Wednesday.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.7, 16GB CDMA Black
  • oo7aims Level 1 (10 points)

hopefully, suppose to be part of iOS5

• pleomorph Level 1 (35 points)

Unfortunately, it will not be supported on the original iPhone 4, at least in the beta stage.  The following footnote is on the Siri information page at apple.com:

Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access.

• KiltedTim Level 9 (50,310 points)

Doubtful. Though it's not explicitly stated anywhere, it appears it will be limited to the iPhone 4s as voice control was limited to the 3Gs when it was introduced. It will probably require more processing power than the 4 can easily spare.

• AudiJim Level 1 (0 points)

It will in fact NOT be part of iPhone 4, but rather exclusive to iPhone 4S.

• Matrix X2 Level 1 (115 points)

I have looked around... and unfortunately, it looks like it may only be for the 4S. I don't see why. Honestly, I was dissapointed with the new iPhone. All it has over the iPhone 4 is a better camera, theoretical downloads speeds of 14.4 MBPS, A5 chip (which from example on iPad 2, isn't that much better than the A4) and Siri. Other than that what is there?

• Matrix X2 Level 1 (115 points)

It's ok. I'll just trade in my iTouch 4 and get a new white iTouch 5.

• MrNeeds Level 1 (5 points)

If this is the case then Siri should work flawlessly with iPad 2! Seeing as it comes equipped with an A5 chip :D

• Phil Rogers Level 1 (5 points)

Jim

How do you know that?  Siri was a freestanding App.  Are you just assuming the new version won't be available for iPhone 4 users, or have you actually seen/read something definitive?

• MrNeeds Level 1 (5 points)

It's pretty definitive from the keynote of today's announcement which can be viewed here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piuhbvdlbkvoih10/event/index.html

But Phil Schiller says that the beta is exclusive to the iPhone 4S, it may be available in another iOS update for all devices(or the iPhone 4) when it reaches RTM stage.

• William Kucharski Level 6 (14,985 points)

Matrix X2 wrote:

All it has over the iPhone 4 is a better camera, theoretical downloads speeds of 14.4 MBPS, A5 chip (which from example on iPad 2, isn't that much better than the A4) and Siri.

The A5 chip is significantly more powerful than the A4, and that extra processing power is likely what allows Siri to work on the 4S.

Notably the A5 has a dual core processor and a dual core graphics processor as compared to single core versions of both on the A4.

• markpb91 Level 1 (35 points)

True but it still doesn't answer the question of why it can't be put on an iPad 2.

• mariusmuntean Level 1 (0 points)

No Siri for iphone 4?? I doubt that it wouldn't work on the Iph4 HW specs.This is not ok, because it will take some time or not for users to change their iphone 4 to 4S, it's not like we change our phone every year a new model comes out. This feature would work just fine on 4, please Apple enable this feature for iph 4 users .

• J. Christopher Edwards Level 2 (225 points)

So then it also will not be on the new iPod Touch. Seems a little strange since there is even less "NEW" about the iPod Touch. A new color and...? I don't see any reason, other than to to help sell a minor upgrade, that Siri wouldn't be availble to iPhone 4 users. Processor speed and all taken into consideration.

• macmanprooooo Level 1 (0 points)

Well im in australia

and speeds here are pretty shocking... i was looking foward to the IPHONE 5 to be unbelievable compare to what samsung s2 offers,

however 4S was quite a dissapointment..... SURE SPECS ARE THERE , and i love the new processor ... siri bla bla, but it looks the same....

not even thinner

not even a bigger screen

no wonder their shares droped today

i was hoping to be first in line, (like i was with the iphone 4 launch) .... but im waiting now for the next refresh

ALSO !!!

if you want SIRI theres an app called

VOICE ACTION hurry before apple remove it !!!

Previous 1 2 3 Next