Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find Not Working in Preview

I couldn't find a "Preview" area, so I'll try this here. I don't know why, but most times I am using Preview to view a PDF document, such as a software manual, the Find function doesn't work correctly. I type in a single word that has numerous visable recurrences, but Preview can't find them. Sometimes, it partially works. I have a MainStage manual I downloaded that only finds instances of the word in the figures of the document, but not in the main text. I keep looking for some selection or preference that is set up wrong, but I have no idea why it works this way. I've had other search problems working with PDF documents on Windows platforms, so maybe it's all related to PDF, and not to Preview. But without a search function, I'd just as well have a paper copy! Any ideas? THANKS!

MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 8:00 PM

Well, you are correct, many PDFs are scanned documents that are not searchable. But the problem I've been having is with the text-based PDFs. I can highlight each individual word or character, which would not be possible in a scanned document. But your reply started me thinking, and I ran a test. When I copy and paste a word from the section of the PDF that is not searchable, I get the following illegible characters: ␣␣␣␣␣␣␣ . When I copy and paste from the section that is searchable, I get the original word correctly copied.

So I went back to the original website and downloaded the manual. Doing nothing more, that document was actually searchable, and correctly supported copy and paste. Selecting Save As, I saved the document to my desktop (the original was in the Downloads folder), and lo and behold, that version of the document was no longer searchable. So something is going on with the Save As command. When I threw out the non-searchable version, and went back to the Downloads copy and simply moved it to the desktop, that version was still searchable.

So I can't say I fully understand it, but I've learned that I don't want to do Save As after downloading a PDF manual - something in the saving puts the main portion of the document (but not the text in the figures) into a corrupted format that makes it unsearchable.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2011 8:00 PM in response to Fortuny

Well, you are correct, many PDFs are scanned documents that are not searchable. But the problem I've been having is with the text-based PDFs. I can highlight each individual word or character, which would not be possible in a scanned document. But your reply started me thinking, and I ran a test. When I copy and paste a word from the section of the PDF that is not searchable, I get the following illegible characters: ␣␣␣␣␣␣␣ . When I copy and paste from the section that is searchable, I get the original word correctly copied.

So I went back to the original website and downloaded the manual. Doing nothing more, that document was actually searchable, and correctly supported copy and paste. Selecting Save As, I saved the document to my desktop (the original was in the Downloads folder), and lo and behold, that version of the document was no longer searchable. So something is going on with the Save As command. When I threw out the non-searchable version, and went back to the Downloads copy and simply moved it to the desktop, that version was still searchable.

So I can't say I fully understand it, but I've learned that I don't want to do Save As after downloading a PDF manual - something in the saving puts the main portion of the document (but not the text in the figures) into a corrupted format that makes it unsearchable.

Oct 5, 2011 5:35 AM in response to ToolsandKeys__

Most PDFs are scanned paper documents stored as an image rather than text format.

Searchable PDFs need an additional text layer beneath the 'image'.

But these require additional steps to create which is why there aren't that much of them.

http://www.alliancegroup.co.uk/pdf-searchable-images.htm

PDFPen is one application to create searchable PDFs.

Stefan

Oct 5, 2011 8:13 PM in response to ToolsandKeys__

I admit that I haven't really given much or any thoughts about the PDFs I have to be searchable or not.

I simply haven't cared about it.

Essentially it is up to the creator of the PDF whether they make the additional step/work to get their PDF searchable or not.

Plus given the possibilty to allow or forbid certain user-actions when creating a PDF it may be that they can be a reason too.

Stefan

Jun 28, 2012 3:59 AM in response to ToolsandKeys__

I have the same problem. I can search a PDF document, and Preview will find some occurances of the word, and not others. I tried copy-paste of an occurance that it did not find, and it copy-pastes fine, unlike in your case. I also did not do any "safe as" on the document, it is the original as downloaded from the internet.

Do you have any updated info on this?

Nov 30, 2012 10:30 PM in response to ToolsandKeys__

I was having the same problem - with no search results coming up. Then I clicked on the button in the top left corner (below the red X) and selected Table of Contents, and oddly enough search results started popping up. Weird, I know, but that's what happened. I'm not sure what would happen if there was no table of contents. This file was a textbook that I downloaded. Hope this helps!

Feb 25, 2013 11:27 PM in response to ToolsandKeys__

This is a very frustrating problem, and it's sad to see it has persisted so long.

My experience was very similar: downloaded a pdf; was able to highlight and copy and paste text, no problem; but when i tried to search, this is what i saw [screenshot]:User uploaded file

Maddening!

But, after finding and reading this thread, i retraced my steps, and found that it was indeed related to a Mac OS X "Save as" glitch — sort of.

Whenever i download a document i intend to work on directly, adding annotations and highlights, etc., i sometimes choose to work on a copy, leaving another untouched (i'm an obsessive academic); sure enough: Preview was not finding text in the *copy* i had made (by clicking "duplicate" in the contextual menu after selecting the pdf in Finder). The original document was perfectly fine; only the duplicate copy is corrupted.

What's interesting though is that when i tried to highlight text in the original, Preview (of course) told me it is "locked" and asked if i wanted to unlock it or work on a copy; i clicked copy, and voila: the duplicate version created by Preview actually seems to work fine.

So long story short: i guess i can't trust Finder to duplicate pdf documents for me; from now on i'll do it through Preview.

BTW: Being paranoid, i checked and double-checked. So far so good. (Which is to say: not great, really, because we shouldn't be having this problem in the first place... sigh.) Anyway, good luck, i hope maybe this helps someone.

May 21, 2013 3:03 PM in response to ToolsandKeys__

I started having a similar problem with an all-text PDF document. I use this document very often and I typically use the search a lot. Well, searches just stopped working in *this* file. Other files are OK. Anything I searched, no occurrences found.

I noticed there was a greyed "Locked" legend next to the file name in the Preview window. I checked the Lock flag in the Info window and also looked for the padlock icon, and no, they were not there.

I added a Speech Bubble annotation and then it changed to "Edited". I removed the bubble, and Voilá! searches are back. Happy again 🙂

Jun 10, 2013 2:07 AM in response to ToolsandKeys__

Preview - goodreader - copy/paste - search: Not working

I have a very similar problem with preview where I can't copy/ paste and search documents. It has occurred with most documents that I saved in a dropbox folder and opened/ edited with goodreader on my iPad....

I access most of my academic stuff as well as work related stuff with goodreader on the go.

It must be something the way goodreader or dropbox saves the files, I guess. But I'm no techy and just can't get my files working again.

Thankful for all suggestions

Cheers

Jan 5, 2015 2:14 PM in response to ramurf

Having found that my searches were suddenly yielding 'no results' I found this page and the suggestion that using 'save' was the cause of the problem, I reloaded the file from the web and indeed searching worked again with the new download. As I precaution I locked the file so it cannot accidentally be changed to a non-searchable version. I guess I should also make a second version so I can make annotations and save them, while keeping the original locked version for searches.

Robeman up above seems to have suggested a fix for when searching does go wrong. I'll check that out some time to see if it works when I'm not actively working on the file!

Apr 3, 2016 3:51 PM in response to amazingcomputer

see this above.. I had scanned an ocr doc and preview search would only search for first letter and highlite

that letter in the doc when I typed in second letter it said it was on page one of one page doc I then saw brose's post and tried it and when I toggled between one option and table of contents it WORKED for a whole word. Still not working as it should but you can search for a word with this one quick step

brose131Nov 30, 2012 10:30 PM Re: Find Not Working in Preview
in response to Tools&Keys

I was having the same problem - with no search results coming up. Then I clicked on the button in the top left corner (below the red X) and selected Table of Contents, and oddly enough search results started popping up. Weird, I know, but that's what happened. I'm not sure what would happen if there was no table of contents. This file was a textbook that I downloaded. Hope this helps!

Find Not Working in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.