Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup"

I currently have an iPad 2, and my husband has an iPod Touch (not sure of the generation - its about a year old). As of tomorrow, we'll both have iPhone 4S's. 🙂 We both use my iTuned account for purchasing apps and music. I've finally got iOS 5 up and running on my iPad, with iCloud linked to my iTunes account. I've got my husband's iPod Touch updated with iOS 5. I set it up with his old iTunes account, and put my iTunes account into the 'Store' part of the settings, as the 'Apple IDs and iCloud' document suggested to do. But when I try to set his iPod Touch to backup to iCloud, I get the following error: "iCloud Backup Failed. There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup."

Any suggestions? Am I misunderstanding how I'm supposed to be doing this? It's not a huge deal with the iPod Touch, but I want to get this figured out before tomorrow, so that I can set it up so that my iPad and iPhone both sync to one iCloud account, and his iPod Touch and iPhone sync to a different one.

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:18 AM

55 replies

Oct 13, 2011 3:10 AM in response to SimplyLKB

I ran into the same error, "iCloud Backup Failed", on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. What I did that made it work is in iTunes, I selected "Back up to iCloud" from Devices, under the Summary tab (I had "Back up to this computer" selected earlier), and I had to deselect "Encrypt iPhone backup" (you can skip this if you don't have it selected). After doing this it now works for both devices.

Oct 13, 2011 3:24 AM in response to Nikos___

@uzagaku yes this works, and that's the only way to re-enable iCloud backup actually. No need to disable encryption, that's only for further local backups. But thanks for pointing out to that iCloud setting in iCloud 😉 .. I should have looked there immediately, obviously. As soon as it's activated there, the setting syncs on iOS. Remains that enabling iCloud backup from iOS should of course be possible, so there's still a huge bug there.

"There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.