Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album art missing under artists tab on iPad 2 running iOS 5

I restored my iPad 2 to iOS 5 as a new iPad. Everything synced fine the first time and all album art showed up perfectly, but when I synced a second time, for some reason my iPad ended up messing up all the album art in the music app, but only under the artists tab. I tried unsyncing all of the music, and then resyncing all of it again, but it did the same thing if I synced it again. Only 5 artists have album art showing, but the rest are blank, even though every single album in my music library has album art. The album art in the actual albums tab is fine. Here's a picture that shows what it looks like:

User uploaded file

iPad 2, Other OS

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:28 AM

42 replies

Oct 19, 2011 4:46 PM in response to murky44

Yup, driving me mad! I use my Ipad2 for professional DJing but simply cant any more. It took me three days to re-organise all my music and albums and get all the artwork in. I made the MASSIVE mistake of clicking 'sync over wifi' in itunes and now half the album art is missing again. Every time I re-sync, different artwork appears and different artwork vanishes????

I have now wiped all my music and am re-syncing yet again to see if it works.

Does anyone from Apple exist and can explain what the heck is going on here as IOS 5 has rendered my device almost unusable for its main purpose. I have to say, I have gone from selling Ipads at all my gigs to telling everyone who comes up to have a look not to bother any more - its probably caused several hundreds of laughs already, not the kind of advert Apple wants I'm guessing????

Oct 19, 2011 5:47 PM in response to murky44

I think I figured it out: Connect your ipad/iphone to your iTunes PC/MAC. In iTunes, click on the iPad/iPhone. On the "Summary" tab for your device (in iTunes), select "Sync with this iPad/iPhone over Wi-Fi". On your iPad/iphone go to "Settings", then "General". Toward the bottom you'll see "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync". Select it. Select the "Sync Now" option. It's the only option. iTunes should start syncing the missing album covers.

I'm doing this as I'm writing this. Good luck!

Oct 21, 2011 12:00 PM in response to murky44

I've been bumming on this little glitch since the update, as well. Like khayamanzi, I'm a bit of an OCD-DJ, and I like having my visual references for set-builing. I don't think ahramfromatlanta's solution, though, has anything to do with this, specifically, but the comment did prompt me to look under "Settings." Here's what I'm figuring out. Go to "Settings," then "Music." There's a switch that lets you turn on or off "Group By Album Artist." If you turn this off, then open up your "Music" app, you'll find that "Various Artists" albums, for instance, will show every artist individually. When I did this switch, all my thumbnails reappeared, too. If I go back to grouping by "album artist," though, the missing thumbs are missing again. So I still haven't quite figured this out, but I feel like I've got a good lead on where the glitch is originating.

Oct 21, 2011 12:18 PM in response to tracefromlafayette

Well, not sure if it helps but I discovered that if you play the albums through the music app, (as opposed to my 3rd party DJ app) on all the songs except the first track, the original album art does actually show up both as a small thumbnail in the player controls and full screen when you tap it. It appears that the album art is missing on only the first track. I'm guessing that the album art cover is linked to that first track and without it being present on the first track, it can't find any artwork to show in the collection. Here's the funny bit though - it IS certainly there in iTunes so for some reason simply doesn't copy across or show when on the iPad? It doesn't matter what I do, (delete all album art and add it again, add a different album art cover....etc) it still doesn't want to show up on the iPad......

Oct 23, 2011 12:05 AM in response to murky44

I have now tried all methods, resync after re sync. But still no good. Does anyone from apple actually read these posts? And we cannot be the only ones aflicted with this issue. As mentioned by another poster i find some albums actually with one track with artwork but the majority have none.

I now also find i cannot sync with my machine as i now have insufficient disk space?

How do you calculate what size space you need for a backup? I have 12g left on my drive that i use for itunes and their is no way i am renting icloud space as i can buy a digger drive for less.

Oct 23, 2011 9:08 PM in response to murky44

FWIW, someone kind of worked out what is going on here in another thread. Sorry, I can't find the link.

But basically, if you go into the setting for the music app on your iPad, and turn off "Group By Album Artist", all the cover art displays correctly.

At a guess, any artist grouping which contains an album including multiple artists will cause the album art to go missing.

Oct 24, 2011 8:19 AM in response to blk7

I'd posted that possible solution earlier, but it's not a reliable fix. I still have some missing when I do that, plus having loads of "Various Artists" albums, I don't like having to see duplicate album thumbnails for every single artist on a compilation.

Nor is this even a reliable problem, as some albums with multiple artists show up just fine, while other albums with only single artists are missing their thumbnails.

Could this have to do with a function that allows you to group albums by whether they're part of a compilation or not?

Oct 27, 2011 6:51 PM in response to murky44

I did a combo of a few things...but first...my iPad2 was fine with my macbook...i just got a new iMac which i use exclusively. The artwork wasn't syncing. When I uncheck "sync music" it removes everything on a sync, then I recheck it, and all the artwork appears. Problem is, when I add a new song and sync, the artwork disappears again. I just tried unchecking a few, syncing, then rechecking them, and syncing and it seems to work. We'll see what happens if I add more music. Interesting thing is, all the songs are from iTunes..one would think they would all come over and sync properly.

Nov 2, 2011 9:37 AM in response to futbol boy

Doesnt Apple read these pages and at least come forward and tell everyone that they are aware there is a problem and maybe tell us that there will soon be a futher update to rectify it!!!!!!

My loss of album art gets worse each time I back up and/or add more songs

As has been said by others its annoying , frustrating, looks horrid and rather is sad as it certainly worked fine prior to the latest sofwear release

I for one will consider not downloading an update in future until I have had others try and test it

Album art missing under artists tab on iPad 2 running iOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.