Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS and iMessages from contacts are separated into two conversations

I’m having some struggle to get SMS and iMessage from one contact to appear in the same messaging thread. When I receive an iMessage from my friend, they are separated from our previous conversations over SMS. So now I have two “threads” with him, one over SMS and one with iMessages, which is quite frustrating.

I have added his phone number and his Apple ID email to the same contact, but still the messages are separated from each other. Anyone else who have faced this problem?

We both have iPhone 4 with iOS 5 installed.

Same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3375574

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:43 AM

7 replies

Oct 13, 2011 2:57 AM in response to JMelin

Yea, same problem here.
When you choose that contact's iPhone number to send a message,
it is show send as Text Message instead iMessage.
The iMessage will only appear if you compose a new message with the contact's e-mail address.
Then there will be 2 different message with the same name.

Which is very hard to manage =X

Oct 13, 2011 3:07 AM in response to admaskks

That'sexactly what I'm experiencing!

I wonder if it has something to do with Apples servers, perhaps all information hasn’t propagated through their systems. So the number and Apple ID isn’t linked together, but that's just a guess.

We have compared our settings and they appear to be the same. The only difference we have found is that I have added his phone number with the label "mobile" and he has added my number as "iPhone".

Oct 13, 2011 11:20 AM in response to JMelin

Im having the same problem as well. i've tested out with 2 of my friends since this morning and when one of them sent me a message, it was from his email. when i've replied back to that email it was sent as imessage but if i used his phone number it would just be a SMS. but with another friend i was able to use her phone number to send imessages. No adding emails or anything.

Oct 18, 2011 11:58 PM in response to azazaza

It now works! I noticed it yesterday. If I create a new message and start to type the name of my friend (which I previously had problems with) a blue bubble appears next to his phone number; previously the bubble only appeared next to his email adress.

I have not changed any settings, so it might be the case that it will start working on its own after a while. Good luck guys!

SMS and iMessages from contacts are separated into two conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.