Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I consolidate iMessages and texts into one conversation?

How do I consolidate iMessages and text messages from the same person into one conversation? My girlfriends iPhone does it but mine doesn't.

On her phone iMessages and text messages from the same person are in the same conversation, iMessages are just in blue and text messages are in green. On my phone I have duplicate conversations for people with iMessage, one that contains the iMessages and one that contains text messages.

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 6:53 PM

13 replies

Oct 13, 2011 3:00 AM in response to Punter16

I'm having the same problem. When I receive messages from my friend, SMS and iMessages are separated into two different conversations; frustrating is the word. From his point of view, everything appers to be as it should - messages from me end up in the same conversation.

We have compared our settings and they appear to be the same. The only difference we have found is that I have added his phone number with the label "mobile" and he has added my number as "iPhone".

Before I saw that you had posted the same question, I created another thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3377368

Oct 17, 2011 12:33 AM in response to jhammer124

My settings looks just like yours, BUT now it works! I noticed it yesterday. If I create a new message and start to type the name of my friend (which I previously had problems with) a blue bubble appears next to his phone number; previously the bubble only appeared next to his email adress.

I have not changed any settings, so it might be the case that it will start working on its own after a while. Good luck guys!

Oct 18, 2011 2:18 PM in response to Punter16

I'm also having this problem and my settings are like the ones posted above. My wife's iPhone 3GS lumps all of her texts/iMessages into one conversation distinguished by different color bubbles and titles. However, my iPhone 4 separates her conversations depending on whether they are to her phone number or iMessage email.

Everything for her is under one contact entry, which I tried deleting and re-creating from scratch. It didn't help. I also deleted all text conversations between she and I. Didn't work.

If I use something like Dialvetica to send her a text, it will use her phone number, but the entry box detects it as an iMessage. She'll get that text under her consolidated text conversation. She replies to me and it shows up as a new text conversation on my phone. I can continue to use that email conversation, but as soon as I initiate an iMessage using her number it switches back to that conversation.

So, there's two dofferent conversation for phone number and email on mine, whereas on hers it's all shown as one.

Oct 18, 2011 11:57 PM in response to zxfiles

@zxfiles: If you create a new message and enter your wife's name, is there a blue bubble next to her phone number or her email address?

When I had the same problem, the blue bubble was next to my friend's email address and not his phone number. Now when things work, the bubble is next to his phone number instead. I didn't do anything special, it just worked one day!

I wonder if it has something to do with Apple's servers, perhaps all information hasn’t propagated through their systems? So the number and Apple ID isn’t linked together, but that's just a guess.

Oct 19, 2011 2:17 AM in response to JMelin

Hi JMelin,

when you had your problem fixed by itself, did the two separated message threads (the sms and the iMessage one) merged by themself or did you deleted all the messages? I have the same problem of many, but i think it's a problem related to the receiver of the messages. I think that there is one task only that the messages app and the address book have to do: if the address book see that the phone number and the iMessage came from the same contact, then the message app should merge the thread.

I don't think that the problem is related to the sender phone configuration. I have the same problem with one contact who have more e-mail address on his profile. While i don't have problem from contact that have one e-mail address only...

Dec 29, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Finnish_Fox

Hello,

check from the messages options if you are sending the messages using your phone number as ID or your e-mail in case you are logged with your apple_id. If they receive your message splitted, probably you are using your e-mail as your id, instead of the phone number. There is no way to merge the messages for them.

As for the second issue i can tell you that there must be a bug somewhere. Some days ago i didn't receive iMessages from two friends. We figured it out hours later.

Now: if the iPhone can't send message via iMessage service, it automatically SHOULD send it again as a normal SMS after a while. This didn't happen to me, indeed after hours and hours (5 hour for one and 20 for my other friend) they notice that the iMessage delivery was not confirmed.

So why the iPhone didn't sent automatically the same message as a normal sms? I think that the iPhone don't sent the sms automatically unless it receive a confirmation from the iMessage server that the delivery is not possible. That's why my two friends had still the iMessage on a "waiting status" without confirmation and why sometimes the times that go from when you send an iMessage and when it get converted to an sms is variable. I had problems in the past sending iMessages: one time they where converted to an sms in one minute, other time they took 5 minutes, and under the Christmass holiday (i think because traffic) the iPhone sent it after 15 minutes. The day after indeed i had problem receiving iMessages too.

Thats why i think that it's a server side problem, about the iPhone handling the delivery status with the server. I wonder why the iPhone doesn't decide himself to revert a message to a normal sms and i think the answer is to avoid duplicated. If you sent an iMessage, and the server is stuck and your phone decide to send it via cell tower without telling it to the iMessage server, then when the server is free the recipient may have a double boring message...

For now you or your friend can just pay attention to the delivery status of the iMessages.

Sorry for the lenght, hope it can help.

How do I consolidate iMessages and texts into one conversation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.