Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does Mac Numbers support iCloud? If not, when?

I've brought up 10.7.2 and set up iCloud. I'd like to have access to a spreadsheet from both Mac and iPad. The iPad (ios 5) end works fine Does Mac Numbers support iCloud? If not, when?

OS Mac 10.7.2 (not yet avail above)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 7:37 AM

23 replies

Oct 13, 2011 6:10 PM in response to Stanley Horwitz

Stanley -- Your response is correct, but I'm afraid not helpful. From reading my question, you couldn't have known what info I had, so you recounted all the stuff I already knew. In ios 5, the file on the cloud gets updated directly by Numbers, and Numbers opens the latest version of files from iCloud. There's no browser or e-mail transaction involved. I wish Lion Numbers worked that way.

In many circumstances, a file might be altered multiple times in a day on the iPad and several other interleaved times on the Mac. One danger of e-mailing or downloading a spreadsheet back to the Mac from the iPad is that this adds a copy of the file on the Mac. They will probably be different, and errors will occur from a user opening a file that is not the latest version. A second drawback is simply the extra workload of using the browser or of e-mailing the file from the iPad. I'm convinced that Mac Numbers should know how to handle this for us. The key to my question was the tag: "If not, when?"

My question was simply to assure myself that I hadn't missed a tool, and to make sure that this issue was on the table for the next update. But when? I'm afraid that this shortcoming may mean that I'll need to pay for a webDAV service in the meantime to avoid errors.

thanks

Oct 14, 2011 11:55 AM in response to infected mushroom

You lived years without iCloud so be patient.

Leave Apple engineers the time to mayke a good job updating iWork.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 14 octobre 2011 20:55:29

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Oct 17, 2011 2:25 PM in response to Hrissan

I have no need for this feature ( I hate iDevices ) so I have no reason to ask for it 😉

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 17 octobre 2011 23:25:11

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Oct 19, 2011 1:45 PM in response to Kweke

If you have the iOS editions of the iWork apps, you can certainly open iWorks documents on your iOS mobile device now. You need iOS 5 and your iWork apps need to be current in order for this to work. I have no inside information, but I would be surprised if Apple doesn't expand the functionality of the Mac versions of the iWork apps to allow them to synchronize iWork documents via iCloud. When that will happen is anyone's guess though.

Oct 19, 2011 2:27 PM in response to John Tucker2

Hey John. I think I can give you an answer, though not satisfactory.

If you noticed, the iDevices versions of iWork have less features than the Mac one. And these missing are really advanced, which means we will probably never see them on the iDevices versions, since Apple is very serious as when it comes to simplicity. They do it for a good reason though.

What I mean is that a synced mode between Mac and iDevices on iWork is simply not possible. The only workaround Apple might do eventually is letting iWork on Mac edit documents on some sort of "Simple mode" which cuts down the features missing on iDevices, so the result document would always be compatible with the iPhone and iPad editors.

And as of "when", if ever, probably not this year at least knowing Apple. Though that workaround sounds too complicated in concept for Apple to consider adopting it.

Still, even the Themes on iWork for iDevices are different than on the Mac. It feels like we want to sync apples with oranges (?). Well, it's 2011, it's time we upgrade our phrases I think =P.

Hope this answer your question!

Cheers!

Oct 20, 2011 5:49 AM in response to ArtPulse

Im not sure I agree with your premise that the complexity of the Mac vs IOS versions precludes them from being compatible. Quickoffice for IOS syncs with MS Excel via Google Docs very effectively, and Excel is far more complex than Numbers will ever be. In addition, it is possible to manually exchange Numbers files between Mac and IOS devices by uploading and downloading them to the Mac via the iCloud website. The files work file on either platform.

Apple has really dropped the ball here. The IOS versions are essentially useless for anything but minor edits to anything but the most simplistic of spreadsheets. Their usefullness comes from being able to view, print, display or make minor edits to a spreadsheet that has been created on a real computer. Not being able to do makes them useless. Especially since that capability currently exits between MS Excel and QuickOffice.

Oct 20, 2011 6:41 AM in response to WhozDan

Uhm I'm not sure you really tried that out.

Once you upload an iWork file from a Mac to iCloud and open it with an iOS device, the file gets converted to the iOS version, the advanced features are removed from the file, and is reuploaded to iCloud. Just then, you can edit it on your iPhone.

I'm sorry you do not agree, but it's what's going on =P iOS version is simpler, and as long both type of documents can't have the same information, they can't be synced in real time like with Notes, Calendars, Reminders and etc...

Let's not forget, again, that Apple puts usability / ease of use first. If adding all desktop iWork features would imply a negative impact at the ease of use when editing a Numbers, in example, then they won't add it. And I think it's okay, iDevices are not for intensive work. Ergonomically speaking, they are not for intensive work. And will never be. They're best at what they are supposed to be, but not replacing a whole computer.

I'm an interfaces designer by the way, there is a lot of accessibility, use and other factors I keep in mind when writing this response, this is no deliberate answer in any way!

Cheers! =)

Oct 20, 2011 7:36 AM in response to ArtPulse

In fact, in the late iWork's app for iOS, Apple embedded a lot of features which were missing compared to the OSX versions.

There are also features available in the iOS versions which are unavailable in the OSX ones.

But, if I remember well, during the WWDC 2011 keynote, some iCloud demos were made between a mac and an iPad. I remember perfectly the availability of the menu bar at top of the source display.

So I guess that Apple has a draft version but want to refine it before delivery.

As I already wrote : we worked without iCloud sharing during years so you (I don't use iOS devices) may wait some weeks for a well built new update.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 20 octobre 2011 16:35:08

does Mac Numbers support iCloud? If not, when?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.