1 2 3 Previous Next 74 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2014 3:54 AM by SatanClaus1
iainjo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have tethering on my contract and regularly used my iPhone 4 as a Wi-Fi hotspot under iOS 4. I upgraded to iOS 5 and found straight away that the Wi-Fi functionality with the personal hotspot doesn't appear to work. However tethering using the Personal Hotspot with USB and Bluetooth work fine.

As before, what I've found is that either flicking to and from the "Personal Hotspot" page or switching the Personal Hotspot "Off" and then "On" causes the "Wi-Fi" status under sttings to change from "Not Connected" to "On" but this time no Wi-Fi enabled device can discover the phone. The difference I've noticed is that the Wi-Fi status is "On" a far shorter amount of time than under iOS 4, but this should be long enough for discovery.

I tried changing the phone name, as mine has a space in, and although the phone worked as is before I've heard this can be a problem. Briefly (a few seconds) the phone was discoverable from a laptop using Wi-Fi and then disappeared for good. I've reset the phone network settings and there's no change.

Any other suggestions?

iPhone 4, iOS 5
  • 1. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    tmphi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here iainjo.

Is there a way to back out of IOS 5??

• 2. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    benjamin frompetaling jaya Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having the same problem here and it's really frustrating because I usually do wireless tethering with my iPhone 4. After upgrading to ios5 wireless tethering don't seem to work. USB and Bluetooth works fine but am not happy connecting via Bluetooth to tether.

• 3. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    ivanrei Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was having the same problem tried resetting to no avail. Then I removed the apple charger from the iPhone and my laptop connected straight away, I then connected the charger again and the laptop stayed connected. So I think there is a small bug in iOS 5 that doesn't let other devices connect if the charger is connected beforehand. What's weird is that after that the laptop connects normally after a disconnect without removing the charger. So I think it's only the first time it tries to connect.

• 4. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    Wolftrapme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks ivanrei, I don't know why it's doing that but I did exactly as you said and wifi hotspot is now working again. Definitely a little bug!

• 5. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    FleXoft Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem, no solution yet.

• 6. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    booboo5 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issues. I used the USB and was able to at least get the Hotspot to say it was connected (have been unable to this when not connected by USB), but I was still unable to get any wireless service.

This is frustrating and I am thinking about removing this service if it's not fixed soon.

• 7. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    Wolftrapme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Right so far it's very hit and miss. Sometimes a reboot of the iphone works and other times it doesn't. The two things I've being doing so far that seem to work is

1. Plug out the dock cable

2. Go to hotspot page, switch on and off personal hotspot

3. Do not press the home button, leave the hotspot page open and then connect to wi-fi

Once you have the connection in Wi-Fi it seems to hold it even if you plug the phone back in and let it go to sleep.

• 8. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    paolotramannoni Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The same is happening to me, and it seems there is no way to solve the problem. The Personal Hotspot item remains greyed out., and resetting does nothing.

It worked fine before upgrading. So, I strongly suspect it is a bug in iOS 5.

Paolo

• 9. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    taitun Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

iainjo wrote:

I have tethering on my contract and regularly used my iPhone 4 as a Wi-Fi hotspot under iOS 4. I upgraded to iOS 5 and found straight away that the Wi-Fi functionality with the personal hotspot doesn't appear to work. However tethering using the Personal Hotspot with USB and Bluetooth work fine.

As before, what I've found is that either flicking to and from the "Personal Hotspot" page or switching the Personal Hotspot "Off" and then "On" causes the "Wi-Fi" status under sttings to change from "Not Connected" to "On" but this time no Wi-Fi enabled device can discover the phone. The difference I've noticed is that the Wi-Fi status is "On" a far shorter amount of time than under iOS 4, but this should be long enough for discovery.

I tried changing the phone name, as mine has a space in, and although the phone worked as is before I've heard this can be a problem. Briefly (a few seconds) the phone was discoverable from a laptop using Wi-Fi and then disappeared for good. I've reset the phone network settings and there's no change.

Any other suggestions?

The problem myself and a couple of friends are facing seem a lil different. We can even find the Personal Hotspot feature in the settings menu. We have tried the whole Network Reset thingy but doesn't seem to work as well.

Anyone with any other bright ideas/suggestions????

• 10. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    FleXoft Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Wolftrapme you got the point! Thanks!

Worked for me.

Don't navigate away from 'Personal Hotspot' while MacBook is trying to connect your iPhone4 Wi-Fi!

Thanks again!

• 11. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    paolotramannoni Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I must add that by quickly touching the Personal Hotspot item, immediately after entering the Settings page, I could access to the corresponding settings page. However, the Personal Hotspot item on top of that page remains greyed out, and cannot be changed to On.

Paolo

• 12. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    immuzain Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

im also facing **** same issue...hotspot has gone dead

i have attached snapo too.....i have tried hard reset and network reset but nothing helpedIMG_0272.PNG

• 13. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    immuzain Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Plz resolve tis matter IMG_0271[1].PNG

• 14. Re: Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Not Working Under iOS 5
    jakudo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, navigate to the setting-perosnal hotspot alows you to connect to the iPhone's wi-fi and it's ok, however, in iOS4 I was able to connect to iPhone even without touching him. For example if was outside and had my iPhone in bag and wanted to connect with my iPad (wifi only), it just connected automaticaly. Now I have take the iPhone navigate to seting - PH and then connect with my iPad (can you imagine me, holding iPhone in one hand and iPad in the other, doing this whole procedure in bus when going home from work?:)). This needs to be fixed...

1 2 3 Previous Next