Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no backups available?

Just got my iphone 4S and when I tried to restore from icloud backup it says no backups available? But, my iphone 4 is on ios5 and i backed it up to icloud yeseterday.

Any ideas? I am at work so I dont want to have to go home and restore from itunes backup

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:23 AM

26 replies

Dec 21, 2011 1:11 AM in response to Joe in So Cal

I'm also having trouble with my restore from icloud backup and would love any advice.

When I go to system preferences and to my account on iCloud I can see my backup there but it says "My iPhone (incomplete) in the manage storage window. I don't know what this means.

I have been able to restore from back up before but now its saying "No backups available"

Help please!

Mar 14, 2012 10:56 AM in response to Joe in So Cal

I just changed from an iPhone 4S to another iPhone 4S. I had just a few hours ago backed up to iCloud, but the new phone only showed a very old backup from my earlier iPhone 4, not the recent one. I tried deleting all the backups and then backing up again. Then the new phone didn't show any backups.

The solution: FIRST SET UP AS A NEW iPHONE AND UPDATE THE iOS (in my case to 5.1), then erase all content and settings and start over. After the software update the phone recognized the backup which I had just made and restored correctly.

Best,

Jussi

Mar 21, 2012 11:45 PM in response to tuulensuu

I bought a replacement iPhone 4S to replace the one I dropped and shattered, and was having the same problem of "no backups available," when trying to do a restore. When I would setup as a new iPhone, I could still see my recent backup within the iCloud settings of my new iPhone. I then saw that the new one's os was at 5.0.1. I then did an update, did a full restore, and instead of setting up as a new iPhone, I selected restore from iCloud backup, and I was able to do a proper restore. At first I didn't think that would be the issue, but I guess that was it. You basically have to be in-sync in order to get iCloud to give you the proper option of restore.

Mar 23, 2012 8:44 PM in response to tuulensuu

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. This solution worked for my iPad 2 as well. It wasn't charging properly so I went to the Apple store tonight and they replaced it with a new iPad2. When I tried to restore from an iCloud backup, no luck. "No backups available" was the message. Searching for a solution, I found this thread...while most posts were about phones in this thread, I gave it a shot and....it worked!!!!!!

Mar 26, 2012 5:24 PM in response to tuulensuu

➕ Thanks for the info.

"May you have everything you desire in life! On second thought, even after your life as well!"

After the update I was able to restore my backup, and that was no small relief. I needed the backup, and that's why I made it. I just never thought I'd be shocked by a message that I had "none". Tens years off my life...

If you had not supplied this answer I would have made another trip to the Apple Store, and had a bout with claustrophobia in the over crowded conditions, to try to get an answer that they apparently don't know.

Apparently Tech support is unaware of this as well (from posts above), that speaks volumes for paying them for phone support...have your credit card handy! This is my first experience with APPLE service.

APPLE can't tell us, when they replace a 3 month old iPad2, that we will have to update the iOS to the same version as the backup before we can restore. Maybe the replacement will last longer than the original, but hey, now I know something APPLE support doesn't!

Wow. How impressed am I with the "little i" now?

Apr 9, 2012 1:36 PM in response to tuulensuu

Another scenario that people should be aware of that will generate this message is when you have multiple Apple accounts. This just happened to me. I just bought a new iPhone, backed up my old one to the cloud and when I tried to restore to the new phone got this message. In my case though I was using a different Apple login on both devices. This can get confusing is you have an old MobileMe login and a iTunes apple id. Just make sure it's the same on both. Sounds obvious but it can be confusing to keep track of multiple Apple ID’s

I really wish Apple would give us the option to merge all these ID's.

no backups available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.