Skip navigation

Address Book "Edit Distribution List" not working in Lion 10.7.2

8083 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 10:53 AM by jstoner_denver RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
neilberg Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 14, 2011 11:21 AM

I have been told by people in my "Groups" that I am sending to the wrong e-mail addresses.  I checked and sure enough so I went to edit the distribution list for that group and it's greyed out. It worked prior to this update. My wifes is still using 10.7.1 and edit didtribution list is not greyed out.....anyone having the same issue or any ideas where it is now or how to re-enable it....or is it just broken?  Also I am contented into iCloud.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iCloud
  • davekeyboardo Calculating status...

I'm having the same issue. Edit>Edit Distribution List is just grayed out, and there is no way to enable it.

• paul bresciani Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here - very frustrating.

• rcosby Calculating status...

I have the same issue but I noticed in Mail I can mouse over each name and I get a dropdown that lets me change the email address by checking a different one.  It doesn't appear to "stick" but it gives you a way to check them BEFORE hitting the send button.

Oh my - I just tried this, and sure enough, the ability to Edit Distribution Lists was back. Except ALL of my groups lost ALL of their contacts! Luckily, they were still in my "All Contacts" list. Luckier still, when I turned Address Book back on in iCloud, I merged the contacts, and all my Distribution Lists came back stocked with contacts as before - but alas, Edit Distribution Lists was once again greyed out...

That's a pretty big bug - and replicable. I hope they fix it soon.

-Paul

• xxJohn Galtxx Calculating status...

Same here. Most of my emails are sent using groups and this is a big issue.

• xxJohn Galtxx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am also having issues when trying to create a new group.

I create it and add contacts, but when I try to use it in an email it does not populate any addresses in the To:.

I even tried to add contacts to an existing list and the did not work. The original contacts show up, but not the new ones.

• spacecadet_cc Calculating status...

I was caught with this bug as well. Although not a proper fix, it should be pointed out that the distribution list now uses the first email address in the contact's card. By copy-pasting to swap the email addresses you can then get it sorted for some of your groups. However, if you have one person in multiple groups, with a different email addy in each group, you are still out of luck. And some groups are dozens or hundreds of people, so this is not a great use of time. I definitely see this as an iCloud bug as the Groups are now listed as 'iCloud' in Address Book.

BTW - my other pet peeve is why there is no easy way to reorder email addresses in Address Book. Having to copy/paste so that 'work' emails can be above 'home' emails (for consisteny) is annoying but has been an issue since the beginning.

• Jacques Cornell Calculating status...

I can select Edit Distribution List, and it appears after about a minute (3,500 contacts). But, when I try to switch the content to be edited from email to address, Address Book just hangs. Boo, hiss.

Noogies all around to the Address Book team.

And wedgies for the new UI.

Jacques, are you sure you're using Address Book from iCloud? (In iCloud System Preferences, Contacts is checked) If you are, then the rest of us have something wrong with our systems...

• Jacques Cornell Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Paul,

Actually, this was on a user account for which I have never set up either MobileMe or iCloud. I've just tried it in my main user account (iCloud active), and Edit Distribution List is grayed out. Had to generate a mailing list for an event, so I booted from an archived clone of Snow Leopard that I made just before upgrading to Lion.

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (9)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.