Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change my primary Apple ID email to my new iCloud @me address?

I just updated to iOS 5 on my iPod touch and signed up for iCloud. I have a new @me email address. I want to make it the primary email address for my Apple ID, but when I type it into the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" field, it tells me that I cannot use a MobileMe account for my Apple ID. It is not a MobileMe account, and I have never had MobileMe. I know that the email works with my Apple ID, since I can log into my account with it. How can I make it the primary email address?

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:05 PM

29 replies

Oct 16, 2011 6:51 AM in response to Panther8

I also have the same question. When I first created my Apple ID, I used my hotmail address as I did not have a Mac. Now, I have a hotmail ID and a me ID and want to merge them together. I tried to change the address in the account settings from the hotmail to the me, but it says that ID is already in use. How can I merge these and not lose all of my history?

Oct 17, 2011 3:50 AM in response to Panther8

I'm having the exact same issue. I don't want to delete my original @hotmail ID just in case I can't access all my music/apps etc that I bought on it. It's really annoying & I've tried several different avenues.

Everytime I get this error message: 'You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID.'

But surely that won't have all my existing purchases on?!

Oct 18, 2011 4:42 AM in response to Panther8

I am also having the same issue. What ended up happenign is that I have two Apple IDs now after the iCloud conversion (I did have a MobileMe account) and I would like all my purchases and history to be on just one ID,t he one tied to my primary email.

According to the help on appleid.apple.com Apple IDs cannot be merged. I hope that Apple reconsiders this policy because it is extremely annoing to have to switch out between IDs to update apps. It is taking the fun and cool out of the iCloud concept.

Jan 8, 2012 7:11 PM in response to Panther8

While you can't currently change your Apple ID to a Mobile/iCloud email address, I found a solution that helps with a related problem.

Suppose you've recently got an iCloud email address, but Apple are still sending all your iTunes Store, App Store and Mac App Store receipts to your old gmail address (the one that's still your Apple ID). And suppose they're also sending all the Apple Support Communities notifcation emails to your old gmail address. How do you change it? How do you fix it?

Well the option exists, but it is hidden away in a weird place. To get Apple sending all of their receipts and notifications to your new iCloud email address...

• Go to your country's Apple Store website http://store.apple.com/

• Click on the Account button in the top-right corner

• Under Account Settings, click on Change your default shipping or billing info

• Sign in with your usual Apple ID and password

• The email address listed under Payment Information is the key

• Click on Edit next to Payment Information and change that email address to your iCloud address

That's all you have to do.

Jan 8, 2012 7:29 PM in response to bryan161

Thanks for the info. That's basically what I wanted (even through Apple hasn't fixed the original problem). Unfortunately, I cannot edit my email address in payment info because I have an account without a credit card. When I submit my revisions, it tells me I have to enter a credit card, so I had to hit cancel. So annoying!

Jan 8, 2012 7:52 PM in response to ColonelPanik

You could however if you want to use your me.com email as your primary you can't from the appleid site. Apple won't let you change your apple id to a me.com address. So to seperate the two you have to leave your apple id alone and do the other as I said above. After that you will see the apple id and primary email as two seperate fields.

How can I change my primary Apple ID email to my new iCloud @me address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.