Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed IOS 5, bye-bye Gmail "push"...

Hi all,

I'm experiencing an issue with my recently IOS 5 upgrade. Since I did it yesterday my Gmail account (exchange mode) has suddenly stopped "pushing" my emails. I have tried everything, deleted the account and recreated it from zero but it didn't make any difference. The strange thing is that having an Ipad 2 with IOS 5 installed on it the push works perfectly for that same Gmail account. Any ideas?

By the way, I have another exchange email account installed on the iphone and "push" works fine for that account, so it is just the Gmail not working.

Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 4:11 AM

25 replies

Oct 17, 2011 8:37 AM in response to Operador

Hi,

same issue here. I'm using Google Apps

After reading about similar issues with previous versions of iOS I've gone to my Google Apps domain and unchecked and rechecked the option for allowing mobile synchs. It started working again!!

It looks like the problem may not be the iOS, although it's weird all other SWs using that account were working properly, even the iOS in my iPad.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Oct 17, 2011 9:18 AM in response to caiOHawk

I can confirm that after resetting my network settings (I don't think this step was necessary), deleting and re-setting my Gmail account (with the 'Exchange' settings described here - again I'm not sure this was what fixed it...) and finally enabling 'push' settings which were hiding in the 'Mail/Fetch New Data' area of settings as detailed above, my Push Gmail is working again...... Huzzah!

Oct 17, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Operador

I had all the push settings enabled and tried everything but it didn't work at all until I reseted the network settings.

I just talked to a friend of mine that had the same problem and he didn't use he same method to make it work again. Instead of resetting the network settings he forced a reset to the phone (pressed the top button plus the home button together until the apple shows up) and that fixed it. The good thing about that kind of reset is that nothing is erased.... I wish I had tried that first.

Oct 18, 2011 2:04 AM in response to caiOHawk

CaiOHawk, I'm glad that the peanutismint solution worked for you. However it didn't work in my case and in many others'. I had tried everything (including what worked for you) and it didn't make a difference. So, in some case, it might be necessary to reset network settings or just reset the iphone (my case). As I said before I have the same gmail account with exactly the same configuration on my Ipad 2 and had no problem with push.

Oct 18, 2011 4:26 AM in response to Operador

Did you read my first post?...

In MY case the "standard" actions (common sense actions) didn't work. I reconfigured everything from zero and still nothing, meanwhile my Ipad 2 was showing no problem under the exact same setings... The moment I resetted it, the **** thing started pushing emails right away because the email account configuration was fine. If I had anything missconfigured it wouldn't have worked no matter how many resets I make.

Oct 20, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Operador

My solution:

I installed ios5 before iCloud was activated. I had no problems receiving push notifications via gmail's exchange account. However, once iCloud was activated it stopped. After trying these suggestions (which yielded no results), I decided to completely de-activate iCloud. Lo and behold, pushes started coming back immediately.

Basically, it's some sort of conflict between iCloud and Gmail exchange pushing. Maybe this isn't the solution you're looking for, but it's working great now.

Granted, I didn't completely reset the network, so maybe if you do that you can use iCloud and Gmail exchange.

Aloha!

Installed IOS 5, bye-bye Gmail "push"...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.