Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Use iCloud" Pages/Numbers option won't stay turned on

I have a strange problem with iCloud synching and the iWorks apps (Pages, Numbers) on my iPhone 4. The problem is this: if I turn on "Use iCloud" on the app settings, then go into Pages or Numbers, I don't see the documents that I have stored in iCloud. Similarly, the documents in my iCloud don't sync to the iPhone. If I go back into Settings->Pages or Settings->Numbers, the "Use iCloud" option has switched from "on" to "off". I can do this any number of times with the same result. To summarize:

1. Settings -> iCloud -> Documents & Data is turned "on".

2. Go to Settings -> Pages.

3. Turn "Use iCloud" to "on".

4. Go to Pages. Observe that no sync to iCloud has taken place.

5. Go back to Settings -> Pages

6. Observe that "Use iCloud" has reverted to "off".

It works fine on my iPad with the same Apple ID so I'm pretty sure it's not my account. I've tried resetting the phone and restoring from an iCloud backup but that hasn't helped. I'm definitely running the latest version of Pages and Numbers (and the version numbers are the same as those on the iPad which works). Settings -> iCloud -> Documents & Data is turned on as well.

Has anyone seen similar behavior? Any idea how to fix it?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2, GSM

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 12:00 PM

Solved! It turned out I had my iCloud account on my device twice: once for mail and once for everything else. I don't recall setting it up that way so I think that the iCloud wizard may have done it. In any case, I deleted the mail-only setup and turned mail on on the other "complete" setup. After that, the Pages/Number iCloud setting "stuck".

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2011 12:00 PM in response to Ben Steeves

Solved! It turned out I had my iCloud account on my device twice: once for mail and once for everything else. I don't recall setting it up that way so I think that the iCloud wizard may have done it. In any case, I deleted the mail-only setup and turned mail on on the other "complete" setup. After that, the Pages/Number iCloud setting "stuck".

Oct 16, 2011 2:55 PM in response to meeaspapa

Well, the issue I think with iCloud is that you have to sign in with your Apple ID, while MobileMe worked with its own Apple ID. Because I was sharing MobileMe with my other half anyway, I am relinquishing that bit to use iCloud instead. It seems a bit daft, especially since we paid to use MobileMe, but it seems to make like simpler to use just the one account.

I must admit that one thing MobileMe seemed to do better than iCloud was the ability to access iDisk like a normal drive from Finder and to synchronise documents there, a bit like with Dropbox. It seems that if you want your iWork documents synchronised, you need to upload them to iCloud. Surely having iCloud showing as a drive the way iDisk did would make sense.

Oct 22, 2011 4:25 AM in response to strangetpwn

Mine does not hang, but I too have never had a MobileMe account.

Tried all the steps above, including deleting the iCloud account under mail setting, then adding it back under iCloud. No luck.

Oh, and for some reason, under iCloud settings, I don't have the option to sync documents and data. The line is missing. So I could not try disabling that.

Oct 28, 2011 8:42 AM in response to Ben Steeves

Solution that doesn't involve 100 steps backing up to itunes, idisk or any of that gubbins.

The reason is usualy a conflict if you have an old mobileme that perhaps you now just use for mail but seems to be syncing documents and data.

Go to settings on your iPad/iPhone and check in Mail, Contacts, Calendars for any Accounts that are syncing 'Documents and Data' that is NOT your main iCloud account. DELETE it then Re-Add it only syncing the things you want but not documents and data (for me it was just mail, as iCloud is handling everything else)

Go to Pages settings in 'Settings' and turn Use iCloud ON it should now work without turning itself off.

Hope this helps

Nov 30, 2011 10:11 PM in response to rogerfromnew york city

I eventually sorted it by deleting each peice of content individually, i.e. go into Notes.app and delete each note, go into Reminders and delete each item etc.

I'm not cetain but I'm pretty sure it was a malformed note that was cauing my issue, I had created a few snippits by cutting an pasting some information I needed from Safari to Mail on my Mac and these weren't displaying correctly on the iPhone. I didn't make the link that this could be preventing Pages from syncing until after I deleted the notes and the issue resolved.

Hope this helps.

"Use iCloud" Pages/Numbers option won't stay turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.