Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic wifi sync not working

I can do a manual wifi sync just fine, but when I connect either my or my wife's iPhone 4 to power, nothing happens. They do not sync unless I tell them to. Anyone else having similar issues?

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 10:19 PM

29 replies

Oct 17, 2011 6:51 AM in response to Andrew Stone1

I have been wondering the same thing. I've met all the requirements, iTunes open, WiFi sync checked, same network, iPod plugged into power, iPod appears in iTunes, iPod not synced in the last at least 24 hours, I have even turned off my firewall in case that was a problem. WiFi sync works great, but no automatic sync, yet. When does automatic sync kick in? Is there a specific time it waits for, like 2am?

Oct 17, 2011 6:09 PM in response to Andrew Stone1

Mine's actually doing something far more irritating.

It does seem to sync some content automatically (i.e., app arrangements, changes to installed software, etc.) almost all the time, which is nice.

However: Whenever the iPhone is on and in range of the WiFi network, and iTunes is launched on my computer, the Usage meter just keeps racking up the minutes as if the phone is constantly ON. Even though there is no visual indicator of synchronization taking place, it seems as if something is running constantly on the phone.

The end result of this is absolutely abysmal battery life. I can watch it get sucked down from 100% to 85% in about 45 minutes.

If I quit iTunes, then the phone stops counting Usage time, and battery life returns to normal.

Has anyone seen anything like this? If I keep iTunes running and pull my iPhone off the charger, then Usage time will equal Idle time right up until the battery dies. If I turn off iTunes, or turn off wireless syncing, the phone goes back to normal.

So odd!

\marc

Oct 19, 2011 1:25 PM in response to Andrew Stone1

Ok, i finally got automatic sync working. I had the same problems as others - could do a manual wireless sync from the iPhone Settings App, but automatic sync would not start when plugged in and charging. The iPhone showed up in the iTunes sidebar, the "Sync with this iPhone over WiFi" option in the iPhone settings in iTunes was checked, the iPhone and Mac were on the same network (over WiFi - no ethernet connection), and the "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from synching automatically" option was NOT checked, and i still couldn't get automatic syncing to work.

Here's what i did

- made sure the iPhone was showing in the iTunes sidebar

- turned off WiFi on the iPhone, leaving it still showing in the iTunes sidebar

- Ctrl-clicked on the iPhone in the iTunes sidebar and selected "Sync "iPhone"" (the name may be different depending on your device and what you've called it)

- Let iTunes work trying to sync the iPhone it couldn't find until it showed an exclamation mark where the eject symbol is in the sidebar

- hot the eject/exclamation symbol and waited until the iPhone wasn't showing in the sidebar

- Connected the iPhone with a cable and let iTunes re-recognise it

- in the iPhone settings checked "open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" option and hit Apply (NOT Sync)

- Ejected the iPhone in iTunes

- turned the iPhone WiFi back on and let it connect to the WiFi network

- made sure it was showing in the iTunes sidebar

- connected it to my charger

- and wireless syncing started automatically!

Probably not all of this is necessary - I'm not sure which step fixed the problem, but my guess is the "open iTunes when this *** is connected" preference is the important one. Also i hadn't synced my iPhone in a couple of days, so that might be important. My guess is it won't start automatic sync if you've synced it relatively recently.

Oct 21, 2011 6:25 AM in response to Andrew Stone1

I have been trying everything from every post for the past few days but nothing had fixed the auto syncing issue over the wifi until just before. All I did was visit the iTunes store from the itunes itself ( I specifically visited the new link called Purchased) and suddenly both my iPhone and iPad have started to auto sync. Infact they auto sync every time I unplug and plug into the power source. Only one issue remains - for some reason the itunes looses both the devices if I turn the Airport off and use only the Ethernet connection.

Automatic wifi sync not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.