Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud won't install on Windows 7 PC

Down loaded iCloud, but won't load on recently new HP Desktop PC running Windows 7.

Pop up window states:

iCloud Control Panel

There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this installation to complete could not be run.

Contact your support personnel or packager vendor.

Look forward to your replies....!

Cheers Paul

PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 4:20 AM

24 replies

Oct 17, 2011 7:13 PM in response to paulfromgladesville

Same exact ptoblem here. Had to spend half a day trying to find out how iCloud is even supposed to work on a PC. Absolutely no info out there about how the Photo Stream works outside the Mac world. Finally stumbled across Apple's download of the iCloud Desktop Control program, which is buried in the iCloud website.

Tried to install it, hangs up about midway through install process, can't even shut down the install program. I'm always disappointed by Apple's crap supprot for PC users, even though about 90% of iPhone customers are interfacing with those phones from a PC.

Chuck

Oct 23, 2011 11:29 AM in response to paulfromgladesville

Same Problem. I have Windows 7. Tried to load the photo Stream package from iCloud

I get the same message "

There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this installation to complete could not be run.

Contact your support personnel or packager vendor.

I've tried to google for a solution, but I find none. Could be a scheme to convert PC users to Apple.

Oct 23, 2011 11:37 AM in response to AdobeSky

There are a couple threads (per day? dozen in last week?) about installer issues.

Trouble is, if it doesn't happen with a clean install of Windows and iTunes etc, and you aren't using Norton or XYZ, and your BIOS was current.... motherboard drivers, and nothing you installed conflicts of course.

people do things over the life of an OS with patches, registry changes, how they maintain, what else is installed.

And I really doubt Apple does much if any testing for 3rd party issues.

Create a new partition for Windows for testing, does it happen there?

No, for me, I converted the other direction as I have strong doubts about Apple software testing, and why I try to avoid 10.5.0 or anything they put out ends in zero or even in one sometimes.

Oct 23, 2011 1:31 PM in response to d6d24r94

No 64 bit versions of iCloud. Make sure iTunes is updated, in case it needs some files from there. They do test it, but all PC's are different. Try creating a new windows user and trying it. If it works, then there is something causing a problem on your login. Offhand, I'd say it is either permissions, or more likely, an issue with AV or Firewall.

When you start/convert your account, you are prompted as part of the process to setup your PC. This is when the software should be installed.

The iCloud software itself explains how Photo Stream works in the "outside world" when you go into the options for Photo Stream.

iCloud help(accessible via clicking on your name and then help at iCloud.com): http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html?lang=en

Nov 4, 2011 4:26 PM in response to paulfromgladesville

I had absolutely no problems installing iCloud and the Control Panel on a Win7 64-bit HP PC. I was also able to configure the me.com mail account in Outlook and successfully send a test e-mail. Thinking all is going great I go to the Control Panel, select the items I want to synch, press Apply, synching begins and then suddenly stops with the error message iCloud Server stopped responding. I've been troubleshooting for 3 days. Thankfully I had already set up synching on multiple devices on Google, so When I test iCloud I can just turn off Google. When iCloud fails, I turn it off and turn Google back on. Thirty years ago in IT school we learned to run parallel systems when installing anything new....so glad I never forgot that lesson.

Nov 6, 2011 6:35 AM in response to Terry Neal

This is what I get when trying to install iCloud on 64bit Windows Dell ... The installer encounterd errors before iCloud Control Plane could be configured. Your system has not be modified. To retry these operations at a later time, run the installer again. .....Each time I try, I get the same message. Any ideas? Thanks

Nov 28, 2011 4:46 PM in response to dave55255

Thanks, using the Apple Software downloader actually worked, now have iCloud on a Windows 7 PC. Of course, miffed as to why it won't install from a download file, but once again seems Apple likes to exclude us PC folks from thier products, or at least make it as hard as possible. Can't figure out a company that shuns customers so openly.

iCloud won't install on Windows 7 PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.