Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S not working with Subaru iPod connector.

I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza with an iPod interface kit I purchased and installed within the last year. My old iPhone 4 (with iOS5) charges and plays music properly with the kit, but my new 4S only charges. I'm sure others have this problem but I was wondering if anyone knows if this issue is fixable with a firmware update or if they locked out these kind of iPod connectors and if I should consider just replacing my car's head unit. Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 7:21 PM

57 replies

Oct 19, 2011 8:58 PM in response to Tumes

I am also having this problem in my MazdaSpeed3 with an after market connector that worked with all previous iPhones. I went to the apple store and tried it in the only speaker dock they had; same issue. They replaced my phone. Replacement: same issue. The apple store dude insisted on replacing it again "just to be sure". The problem still persisted, so it appears there is an iPhone 4s / dock connector problem (when playing music) how does this get escalated to apple???

Oct 25, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Tumes

Me too! I tried connecting it to the cable then restarting the phone and all I get is connected/disconnected flashing back and forth? At this point I'd love to only have to restart the phone! Driving me crazy not having my pandora and itunes available for the 2 hour drive to and from work everyday. The 4s so far blows add this issue to the fact that the battery drains like crazy and I'm ******!!!

Oct 27, 2011 5:25 PM in response to Tumes

Similar boat. I have an Alpine after market deck in my Mazda and my 4S was working fine last week. All of a sudden it'll charge but it won't connect for music/play music or it just keeps disconnecting. It works on some docks and on other the music only becomes audibal if I "bend" or force the iPhone a little bit backwards so that the pins make contact I'm assuming.

I'm extremely frustrated as I believe this is a hardware issue and I've been to the apple store 3 times today without them replacing my phone.

It doesn't make sense that it would work fine for a week and then suddenly (after no updates or anything). I also tried my old 3GS on the same docks and it continues to work fine.

I'm going back to the apple store again tomorrow, I'll let everyone know if anything get's solved.

This seems like a pretty big issue though, if this many people are already experiencing this problem.

Best of luck to everyone in resolving this issue.

Oct 31, 2011 10:24 AM in response to Tumes

I have a 2009 STI and I just installed the factory iPod kit. Tested it wil a 3GS, and iPod Touch 4G and they both work perfectly. iPhone 4S does not. "Attached-Detached-Attached-Detached" all day long. I tired resetting the phone, and that didn't make a difference. Need a solution please! Has anyone tried contacting Subaru? Probably doesn't make a difference, since Subaru doesn't make the kit. Maybe Kenwood? They make the HU.

Oct 31, 2011 10:56 AM in response to lynx440

Update: I just tried my bosses iPhone4 in my car. Works perfectly. I tried my iPhone 4S in his 2009 Acura TL. His car uses a usb port that you plug the standard ipod cable into. Works perfectly. So my next question is: Do they make a female ipod cable that can convert to female usb, so that I could try the standard ipod cable?

Oct 31, 2011 11:51 AM in response to lynx440

I'll try to post a video of it working in my STi with resetting the phone... although for whatever reason I needed to reboot it 3 times last night for it to work...

I've started to use the AUX input in the arm rest due to not wanting to reboot the thing... if they don't patch this in the next OS update I'm going to get a bluetooth kit

Nov 1, 2011 3:59 PM in response to lynx440

OK Guys... I figured out the procedure to get it to work... when you restart the phone make sure it's playing audio from the iPod app (maybe another app too, but I tested it with the iPod app)...

As soon as the apple logo appears, plug it in... and upon boot it'll resume playback.

I got this to work in my 08 STi

Here's a video I made

http://youtu.be/K-1wESA47bg

iPhone 4S not working with Subaru iPod connector.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.