Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Control and password entry

My voice control is on and asks me to enter my password but it will not let me. It just states the numbers and won't let me into the phone.

I can't turn off the voice control

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 2:19 PM

A little more clarification:

1. Tap once on the 4-white square box to select the password box

2. Double-tap on the first white square for the first number in the password entry to select it

3. Tap number 1 once in order to select it as the first number in a password sequence of 1 2 3 4

4. Double-tap the number 1 in order to key it into the first spot on the password box. If successful, a black dot should appear in the first white square.

5. Repeat this sequence for the rest of your passwords and you should be in.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2011 2:19 PM in response to R3Xp

A little more clarification:

1. Tap once on the 4-white square box to select the password box

2. Double-tap on the first white square for the first number in the password entry to select it

3. Tap number 1 once in order to select it as the first number in a password sequence of 1 2 3 4

4. Double-tap the number 1 in order to key it into the first spot on the password box. If successful, a black dot should appear in the first white square.

5. Repeat this sequence for the rest of your passwords and you should be in.

Oct 25, 2011 11:06 AM in response to gills28

Through some more research and frustrating multiple button clicking, I solved me issue with the voice control feature. In case anyone else has a toddler take over his or her phone and has both the issues I had, here is how to fix the one I was just asking about after finally unlocking my phone:

Turn VoiceOver on or off: Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver. You can also set Triple-click Home to turn VoiceOver on or off.

Oct 18, 2011 2:09 AM in response to Ch10

This is because Voice over under Accesibility has been turned on by accident, sometimes when you hit the Home button twice or more simultaneously on a locked screen and Siri settings has not been configured to NOT bypass locked mode.

I had this exact issue and Sprint could not help. You have 2 choices.

1. If you have synced before the issue, you can choose restore from iTunes when you plug your phone to your PC or MAC and that will reset everything for you. Once you do this, turn off Voice Command though Siri can still be on which is OK. Then turn off Siri from the Home button to prevent this as well as better secure access to your phone - this can be done in Settings=>General=>Passcode

2. Patiently tap each field of the password once, then 2ce; tap the first number of your password sequence once, then twice to fill each field until you enter all 4 characters of your password. The Home screen will unlock. Then go to settings and follow instructions in step 1 above.

What happens is Voice over requires using disability features so you have to swipe the screen using 3 fingers to move the screen and double-tapping each option in order to use it.

Voila, you have your phone back. I was able to resolve mine with these steps with help from my teenage son. Very painful experience!

Oct 24, 2011 1:48 PM in response to ARobH2O

The entry is a little tricky because you are giving commands to the iPhone screen to first select and then enter this value basically .... assuming your password is 1234

1. tap once on the first password entry to select it

2. tap 1 once to select number 1

3. tap 1 twice to key it into the first spot on the password box

4. tap once on the password again to select it

5. tap 2 once to select number 2 which is the second entry for the password

6. tap 2 twice to enter 2 in the next password box

Follow these for the rest of the passwords and you should be in.

The alternative is to restore from iTunes - which will restore to your last sync, you will not lose anything other than anything else you've entered since the last sync - hopefully not a lot.

Let the forum know if the password command mode works so others can use it. I was able to use it successfully.

Oct 25, 2011 10:54 AM in response to R3Xp

I just did this and it worked.. It was more like 4 taps, but I just kept going until it entered each digit. My issue is now that everything I want to click in my phone requires the same process. How do I right this? I also can't scroll down on the phone so I can't access anything other than what is on the initial screens of any particular section.

Jul 26, 2014 6:14 AM in response to CMD545

CMD545 wrote:

After hours of frustration I used the methods posted,once I was able to get my phone to take my password instead of trying to manipulate the screens to get thru settings, etc,....I simply asked Siri to cut off voice over and it was a done deal! Hope that helped, thanks for all who posted!

Also, triple click Home to turn Off (or On) VoiceOVer.

Now go to Settings > General > Accessibility.

At the bottom, tap Accessibilty Shortcut.

Uncheck everything (as this is what turns on VoiceOver with a triple click)

Nov 26, 2014 2:28 PM in response to R3Xp

Thank you so much R3XP. I finally got it to unlock by following instructions of swiping with three fingers, double tapping etc. But in parallel I had done "Erase my iPad" through iCloud. Now I see my iPad is erasing. Fortunately I had just backed up all yesterday. So, not much to lose. I only wish it all works well. Thanks to the community.

Feb 2, 2015 4:22 AM in response to eyesphone

eyesphone wrote:

Yes, it has worked for me too, thank you. But I had to tap the password repeatedly and not just 2 or 3 times. I did it over and over until it filled the password dot.

Now, I'm trying to switch off siri and the voice over on settings but I can't scroll on the settings. What do I do? Thanks again.

Simply triple tap Home to turn off VoiceOver.

Or tell Siri “Turn off VoiceOver”.

Voice Control and password entry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.