Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you turn off image stabilization on an iPhone 4S?

I've noticed that the iPhone 4S zooms in a fair amount with video due to it's stabilization feature when compared to stills. The video stabilization for the video camera is nice, but I'd like to be able to turn it off for when I want a wider frame without sacrificing detail caused by moving back further from the subject to frame up a shot while stabilization is on which makes the details in the image smaller.

I can't find a way to toggle video stabilization off. If it's not a feature, do 3rd party apps have the ability to record in 1080 with stabilization off?

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 3:18 PM

18 replies

Oct 30, 2011 5:52 AM in response to W. Raider

Yes if it is a feature it shuld be could be disabled.

And even better if apple can make an option to save the orignal with higher resolution and the sensor move file

the you can edit the video to an 1080p stablilized or not and even take lower resolution videos whit faster framerat or "shorter image read time" = lower image wobbeling, may be slow motion in 800x600p with higher fps (around 150fps) to make cool slowmo videos, an other buy reason for me. I hope apple think about my Thoughts..

Thx

Dec 28, 2011 6:42 PM in response to W. Raider

"Double tap the video stream to see the full video width. It's not zoomed in much whn you can see the full letterbox."

- This has nothing to do with the video stabilization assist.

APPLE, pretty please give me the ability to disable stabilization. It's impossible to get 100% accurate match moving with the wobble effect it has on the image.

Feb 16, 2012 6:26 AM in response to W. Raider

I hope someone try a solution to turn it off, even an app or something. I got a small fisheye to shoot quick iPhone skate edits with my 4s and the image stabilizer is really annoing. You see all the vig in thecorners move around like when you use a sisheye on a regular camera without turning off the stabilizer...

Anyone found a solution? Des someone knows if apple is working on a solution?

Feb 17, 2012 10:40 PM in response to Andersburn

Actually, there isn't a stabilization spring. The stability is coming from the feedback of the gyroscope/accelerometer in sync with the image mapping on the sensor. Try taking video while pointed out to the left/right of a fast moving car. When u play it back the image will distort the outer edge to an angle. This is coming from inertia. If it was lens based (like canon's IS lens') there wouldn't be skewing of the image like there is currently and therefor no real need to turn it off. They just need a stabilization option button which turns off the gyroscope "behind the scenes" while the camera is active.

Please Apple?

Apr 4, 2012 10:26 AM in response to W. Raider

The displayed image in video mode appears to be zoomed in because the frame size of video is much smaller than the frame size of still pictures.

The "zooming" you occaisionally see in your videos is due to the auto-focus trying to range find what it is looking at. To stop this "zooming" you need to Lock the focus (and exposure) on an object in your field of view.

To do this, Press and Hold on an object in the view screen until you see a blue square pulse twice and then zoom in on your finger location. You will then see the message "AE/AF Lock" on the screen. It will not "zoom" any more until you Unlock the AE/AF function, or start a new session. To Unlock AE/AF Lock, just tap the screen again, once.

Please note, that depending on what you Lock onto, other parts of the scene may be over- or under-exposed, or out of focus. This is especially true if you pan away from that part of the scene to look in a different direction.

So, think about what you want to do first in composing your scene.

Jul 25, 2012 2:28 PM in response to W. Raider

Apple has yet to give any feedback on this issue. Here's my feedback:

I created an iPhone, video stabilizing phone case (only one in the world)

When I use my case to shoot video with fast left/right panning, the automatic software stabilization distorts the video so much it's almost useless footage. I have to use a 3rd party app that knocks resolution down to 720p. I don't mind it so much but it would be nice to have 1080p raw "Apple" video without the mediocre software stabilization.

I want my iPhone camera to mimmick my eye. My eye doesn't skew what it sees when I turn my head...

What do you think?

tinyurl.com/stabil-i

Can you turn off image stabilization on an iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.