Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock multiple files in multiple folders

I recently got a new Macbook with OSX 10.7, and I moved about 30GB worth of files on to it from a windows NTFS hard drive.

Now all these thousands of files are LOCKED and I can't move them around or delete them. I know how to select 1 file, or even a group of files and unlock them all, but how do I do it when these files are in many - MANY - different folders?

When I unlock a folder, it doesn't unlock all the folders and files under it, just the folder it self.

I know there was a program called Golden Key that use to do it, but it doesn't look like it's out there anymore (all the download links don't work)

I just want to UNLOCK ALL THE FILES ON MY DRIVE -> with one simple command.

Hopefully without going into Terminal (I don't know how to do that)

THANKS!! 🙂

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 12:46 PM

You can also do it through Finder, one folderful at a time.

To do that, open one such folder. Press Command-A (Select All in Edit menu). Press Option-Command-I which will open a multiple-item Get Info window, one window common to all the selected files. Then click the "Locked" checkbox until it is empty. That should unlock all the selected items.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2012 12:46 PM in response to yoerz

You can also do it through Finder, one folderful at a time.

To do that, open one such folder. Press Command-A (Select All in Edit menu). Press Option-Command-I which will open a multiple-item Get Info window, one window common to all the selected files. Then click the "Locked" checkbox until it is empty. That should unlock all the selected items.

How do I unlock multiple files in multiple folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.