Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s continually loses connection with Carrier?

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 4s from a 3GS, and everything about the device is great - speed, screen resolution, Siri... however the phone part is not working as it should do. It loses the carrier many times per day, and only rebooting or rejecting/inserting the SIM card seems to find it again.

The phone will lose connection to the carrier, with "No service" on the top left. It sometimes spontaneously re-establishes the connection (I hear a beep and the phone vibrating) however most times I need to reboot the phone for it to find the carrier.

I decided to initialise the phone as a new device, and move over the apps that I was actually using from the set iTunes, in order the clean things up.

This is what I've tried so far:

Carrier

* I switch to manual selection, and it shows all three carriers available in my country (France).

* I force the carrier to be the one I'm subscribed to, which is accepted. The phone shows 4 bars of signal strength

SIM Card

* Ejected the SIM card (it seemed to be positioned just fine) and carefully cleaned the contacts with a dry, dust free cloth and re-inserted. The phone find the carrier and works for a while... before spontaneously disconnecting from the carrier and saying "No service"

* Tried another SIM card (A pre-paid one I was testing in the store) and it worked. Couldn't stick around for long enough to see if the phone lost the carrier with this chip too, but it seemed to behave the same as my normal SIM.

Testing other radios

* The Wifi and Bluetooth on the phone work perfectly.

Reception

* Other devices (a MiFi device that I use with my iPad) linked to the same carrier work fine in the same room as the iPhone 4s

* My previous iPhone (the 3GS) picked up the carrier reliably, albeit without a great signal strength

* My girlfriend's iPhone 4 never show this disconnection problem, nor do my colleague's

I went back to the store where I bought the phone, who said call the carrier, or go to an Apple Store. I went to an Apple Store, and the technician said he had come across a few other cases, and perhaps a restore might help. I am very doubtful of this, since the phone is new, and I've just configured the bare essentials.

So far, I'm inclined to think I'm unluckly and have a phone with issues that might have been missed by QA, but perhaps somebody has seen this and found a fix? Any tips on things I've missed before I insist on a replacement?

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 10:49 AM

29 replies

Oct 27, 2011 8:16 AM in response to FrenchieMacFan

The saga continues... my patience is getting very thin. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and am now naming the companies involved.

I since the issue might be due to the SIM card, I went to an Orange (the service provider) in question to get a new SIM. They gave me a new one in 5 minutes. On putting in the phone, all appeared to work for a while (I could makeand receive calls), then the phone reported "Invalid SIM". It found the network again on a reboot, then a short while later the message Invalid SIM appeared again.

A call to Orange said that the card had not been fully initialised. So I turn off the phone, Orange make some kind of tweak on their side, and tell me to turn on the phone again. It finds the network - but not for long, a couple of hours later, it reports "Invalid SIM" again.

Another call to Orange, who tell me the phone may be defective, it cannot reliably read the SIM card. Normally they would replace the phone, but since I bought it from the The Phone House, it's not their responsibility. So the phone house directs me to Orange, and Orange directs me to an Apple store.

Apple - you are my last hope.

Oct 31, 2011 10:53 AM in response to FrenchieMacFan

I bought the 4s last friday and I have the exact same problem.

I've tried everything, but nothing works.

I've talked to the support for my carrier (Telenor Sweden) and apparantly there's a bug in the software.

He told me that they have had many reports and that my phone was not broken and I would have the same

problem irregardless of the carrier.

He recommended resetting it to factory settings, which i did, but it didnt solve the problem.

What I've discovered is that once i lose the connection i go to 'Settings/General/Reset/'

and 'Reset Network Settings'.

That will bring back my carrier signal and it will remain up for quite a long time.

But if i lose the signal it will never recover it.

Rebooting the iphone will also bring the signal back up,

but it will lose it again in around 1 hour repeatedly.

So Resetting Network Setting works best for me. Lets just hope Apple will release a fix soon.

Nov 2, 2011 5:43 AM in response to niklas.nordin

I too am suffering from this. I'm also with the Swedish carrier Telenor.

I'm getting all the symptoms that niklas.nordin describes. In addition my phone stalls when entering the pin code. It just says "Unlocking - Please wait". This will last anything from 10 sec - Infinite.

I don't need an official appology, all I want is for Apple to push out 5.0.1 with a fix for this.

Surrounding functions are great and all but, after all, this is a phone that I need to be able to make phone calls with.

Nov 4, 2011 11:31 AM in response to FrenchieMacFan

I finally persuaded Orange that they needed to replace the iPhone. I got an appointment with an AppleStore a few days later, and they replaced the phone without a quibble. It has been working every since without any issue. It stays connected to the carrier, and everything else works as it should do.

So, I got a unit that was faulty - a subtle fault admittedly, one that would not show up until you had left the phone connected to the phone network for quite some time, but a fault none the less.

My new iPhone 4s works just fine.

Nov 9, 2011 3:11 PM in response to FrenchieMacFan

Having the same issue here with my brand new iPhone 4S

loses signal several times during the day

Provider: Vodafone (Netherlands)

Wondering if everyone here (including me) received faulty units or if there's some more general problem here

I'll be contacting Apple to get a new one and go back to using my iPhone 3G for now... (which really is a shame because apart from this issue the 4S seems a great phone..)

BTW: I've also just removed the SIM-Pin-Code as suggested by someone else in this thread. Hope this will work as a temporary work around, will keep you all updated on this

Message was edited by: RobertNL2011

iPhone 4s continually loses connection with Carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.