Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up DVR with Airport Extreme using DNS for remote viewing. Help!

Hello. I am trying to set up my DVR for my cameras to the Airport Extreme 802.11n. I do not have a static ip so I went to http://dyn.com/dns/ and created a DNS domain name (MyDVR.dyndns.org) for my router's IP. The DVR requires port 80 to be open so I went into my router manually INTERNET>DHCP and reserved the DHCP (IPv4) to an IP (192.168.1.130) created just for my DVR.

Then I went into ADVANCED>PORT MAPPING and set Public and Private UDP and TCP ports to 80 and set the PRIVATE IP to the same IP (192.168.1.130) I created for the DVR previuosly.

Then went into ADVANCED>IPv6 and set the mode to: Tunnel. Then into IPv6 FIREWALL created an exceptions set the same IP (192.168.1.130) again allowing UDP and TCP ports to 80.

In the DVR Software "Video Viewer" I created an Outside Network profile setting my IP to the DNS domain I created and set the port to 80.

I have had no luck connecting to the DVR remotely. I can access it with no problem while on the network using the created IP and port. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to plug DNS domain somewhere in the router so it knows?

I really nothing about this stuff, I have just learned all this in the past couple days so please dumb it down for me. 😉

Please help me and thank you advance.

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 11:17 PM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2011 12:19 PM in response to Dead Zeppelin

I would recommend that you use a different external port, like 8888, instead of port 80.

Here are the basic setup steps to see if anything was missed:

1. Start the AirPort Utilty > Select the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).
  2. Select Manual Setup.
  3. Verify that Connection Sharing = Share a public IP address is selected on the Internet > Internet Connection tab.
  4. Select Advanced, and then, select the Port Mapping tab.
  5. Click the plus sign to add a new port mapping.
  6. For Service, leave the default; this will change to "Custom" once you start entering port values.
  7. In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 8888) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your DHCP-reserved DVR. In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, enter the same port values that you entered for the public ports, Click Continue.
  8. In the Description box, type a descriptive name like "Internet DVR Access," and then, click Done.
  9. Click on Update.

Oct 26, 2011 5:53 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for you help. Yes, the Internet is set to Share a Public IP. I have changed the port number in the airport, on the video viewer (so the program can find it) and within the DVR to 08888. Still no luck, I can still view it internally but not externally.

Let me ask, in the INTERNET>TCP/IP tab there are values DNS Servers, Domain Name, and DHCP Client ID. Do I need to do anything with these? If so what would my DHCP Client ID be?

Do I need any of the IPv6 stuff mentioned earlier?

And finally when you go to UTILITIES and click AIRPORT it shows you an IP address prior to clicking on MANUAL SETUP. When you click MANUAL SETUP at the bottom its a different IP address and that is the one I have been using for my DNS Domain. Is this correct?

Oct 26, 2011 7:25 PM in response to Dead Zeppelin

Let me ask, in the INTERNET>TCP/IP tab there are values DNS Servers, Domain Name, and DHCP Client ID. Do I need to do anything with these? If so what would my DHCP Client ID be?

I am assuming that you have your AEBSn connected directly to your ISP's Broadband Internet modem by Ethernet and not to another router or gateway device ... correct? If so, then the IP information on this tab should self-populate as your ISP would be providing you with these. The DHCP Client ID is not required.

Do I need any of the IPv6 stuff mentioned earlier?

No, at this point in time unless your ISP fully supports IPv6, then this information would not be needed.

And finally when you go to UTILITIES and click AIRPORT it shows you an IP address prior to clicking on MANUAL SETUP. When you click MANUAL SETUP at the bottom its a different IP address and that is the one I have been using for my DNS Domain. Is this correct?

The IP address shown here is the Public or WAN-side IP address assigned to your AEBSn by your ISP. It should not be an address that starts with 10.n.n.n, 172.n.n.n, or 192.n.n.n. (Note: If it doesn't match any of these, please don't post it here.)

When you click on Manual Setup, the IP address shown on the bottom should match the previous one. If not, then something is amiss with your network setup or your AEBSn is connected to another router that is providing it with a Private IP address in one of the ranges I stated earlier.

Oct 27, 2011 9:29 AM in response to Tesserax

Oh yes that is the IP address assigned to the router, it ends in .1. Also yes the router is hooked directly to the modem, I have a switch coming off of that router but thats after this router. Well I still dont know why I cannot access this DVR. I really didn't think it was going to be this hard. Thanks again for your help. Im just ready to stop messing around with this thing, and there is no tech support for the software or DVR which isnt helpful...

May 30, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax

I need your help.

I use airport extreme connected to router and dvr is connected to airport.

First, airport said it is double NAT and I ignored it. Router is from ADT security , it has only one lan port and there is no configuration.

My airport setting is shared a public IP address (not bridge mode) due to the NAT port forwarding mode. DVR ip is 10.0.1.3 and port is 8000.

I think I did everything so far. I can connect and view DVR under same airport network. But not from remote, outside of network.

airport ip is 192.168.107.xx

dvr ip is 10.0.1.3

In dvr, ddns test is sucess but uPnP test is fail.

all port is 8000 except web (80)

Thank you for your help.

I did everything you said as below

• Start the AirPort Utilty > Select the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).
  • Select Manual Setup.
  • Verify that Connection Sharing = Share a public IP address is selected on the Internet > Internet Connection tab.
  • Select Advanced, and then, select the Port Mapping tab.
  • Click the plus sign to add a new port mapping.
  • For Service, leave the default; this will change to "Custom" once you start entering port values.
  • In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 8888) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your DHCP-reserved DVR. In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, enter the same port values that you entered for the public ports, Click Continue.
  • In the Description box, type a descriptive name like "Internet DVR Access," and then, click Done.
  • Click on Update.

May 30, 2015 5:44 PM in response to bachmannn

I would suggest that you start a new post. Your issue is similar to that of the OP but the solution(s) may be different and you will get additional visibility for assistance from others as well.

At this point I believe the issue is going to be the double NAT condition that your network is in. This would need to be resolved to get port mapping to work properly. It will also depend on the exact make & model of your ADT router.

May 31, 2015 8:41 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax

ADT model is pgzng1

ADT Pulse Gateway.

It has no DMZ or other configuration in it.

Here is the information when I log on to ADT router.

iControl Networks iHub

Serial Number:319438NF013BB
Software Version:9.4.0.32.5
Hardware Version:HW=2, BL=1.1.9, PL=9.4.0.32.5, SKU=PGZNG1-1ADNAS
Api link:/rest/icontrol/nw/319438NF013BB

Communication Status

Registry
Registry:https://registry.adtpulse.com/icsvr/GatewayIdService
Server
Server:https://ihub.adtpulse.com/gw
Server Response:Ok
Network ID:150129za047652
Next Update:Today, at 14:43:02.496 PDT
Last Update:Today, at 09:47:50.052 PDT
Connection Status
Active Connection:Broadband
Broadband
MAC ID:28:c6:8e:d2:69:ad
IP Address:23.241.7.201
Subnet Mask:255.255.248.0
Gateway:23.241.0.1
Devices
MAC ID:28:c6:8e:d2:69:ae
IP Address:192.168.107.1
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Only thing I changed is resetting airport.

It used to working before reset.

I didn't change ADT modem.

In my opinion, double NAT is nessessary in this case.

What do you think?

When I connect to ip address with port ( 23.241.7.xxx:8000 ) , nothing happened.

I think there might be problem.

Setting up DVR with Airport Extreme using DNS for remote viewing. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.